• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for a Strawberry Pie?

pedie

Yesterday I had a delicious piece of strawberry pie at a vegetarian restaurant. the crust was made with coconut and finely chopped nuts. The fresh strawberries were crushed and in a solid type filling. It did not taste like gelatin. I made the crust and it seems fine. I am trying to figure out how to attempt the filling. Has anyone prepared such a pie. When you put your fork into it to take a bite, the filling was solid and held together, but all you really could taste was the delicious strawberry flavor...so fresh and natural.

I am considering just trying to gently cook the strawberries with some sugar and cornstarch. But I am wondering if I should incorporate some unflavored gelatin in it.

any ideas?

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

Thevegetarian pie would not have had traditional gelatin in it... may have been arrowroot starch if it was clear, cornstarch will set up a little cloudy

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

There's a chance that they used agar, and some juice in addition to berries.

I make strawberry pie by placing trimmed whole berries (ends up) in a pie shell, packing in as many as will fit. I then slice enough berries to make about two cups' worth and cook those with some sugar, orange juice, a dash of grated orange peel, and add a cornstarch slurry. I pour the cooked berry/orange mixture over the top and chill til it sets up. This pie should be served the same day that it's made.

Honestly, I'd try asking the restaurant the next time you're there. Some places will give you recipes.

There's a chance that they used agar, and some juice in addition to berries.

I make strawberry pie by placing trimmed whole berries (ends up) in a pie shell, packing in as many as will fit. I then slice enough berries to make about two cups' worth and cook those with some sugar, orange juice, a dash of grated orange peel, and add a cornstarch slurry. I pour the cooked berry/orange mixture over the top and chill til it sets up. This pie should be served the same day that it's made.

Honestly, I'd try asking the restaurant the next time you're there. Some places will give you recipes.

Our family recipe is similar, making the glaze from 1 c. each sugar and water, 3 T. cornstarch cooked until clear. Add 1 c. crushed berries and cook until thick. Remove from heat and add a little lemon juice (food coloring optional). Cool glaze completely and spoon over berries in shell. Chill several hours and serve with whipped cream.

Pedie, I * would* like to hear more about this coconut crust!

Pedie, I * would* like to hear more about this coconut crust!

Well, I will ask the restaurant next time I go there if they will share their recipe.

I did make the pie and it was "close." I tried crushing the strawberries and then preparing with cornstarch, sugar etc. but it just didn't firm up the way I wanted so I ended up reheating the filling and adding some gelatin and it was quite nice. Vegetarian wasn't the issue for me. I just wanted a particular texture.

As for the crust, I really liked it as a complement to the strawberry filling. I used a 7 oz bag of sweetened flake coconut and finely chopped almonds. I lightly toasted both items. Then I mixed them with about 1/4 cup of flour then drizzled in melted butter (about 1/4 cup) (like you would for a graham cracker crust). Tossed it all together and moistened it a little with about 3 T. of coconut milk I had left over from a curry soup. Then I pressed it all into a 9 inch springpan and baked it in the oven for about 15 minutes.

It was very good...natural tasting, not too sweet since I added no sugar to the already sweetened coconut. It had a chewy texture which complemented the soft pie filling. Next time I do it, I might pulse the toasted coconut and nuts in the food processor to break it down a bit and see how that works.

I personally do not like graham cracker crusts and am always looking for alternative crusts.

I would describe this strawberry pie just as you did:

http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2008/06/strawberrypie

It's utterly delicious, with a perfect, pure strawberry taste. I make it in an almond crust sometimes, which is as follows (I think I invented this recipe, but I can't remember now):

2 cups almonds, ground fine

1/4 cup melted butter

1/4 cup brown sugar

salt to taste

Mix together, press into a pie plate, and bake at 350 until toasty, 10 minutes or so. Push into place with a spoon if it slumps.

I am happy to report that I contacted the restaurant and they were most gracious with their process for their wonderful pie.

Here is what they said:

"for the crust we use equal amount of organic dried coconut, organic macadamia

nuts (finely chopped or run them through the processor) and organic

dates (put them in the processor with nuts and coconut). You can

experiment with different nuts if macadamias get too expensive. Then

press the crust. Filling - when you blend the strawberries, don't

blend them too long, sweeten them with organic maple syrup (or agave

nectar, but maple syrup works better for us) and add little bit of

agar agar to set the pie. Agar agar is made of sea weed and comes in

small granules that you dissolve in the pan with a bit of water and

then pour it to the strawberries, mix well but gently, and let it set

in the crust."

So those of you who suggested agar agar were on the mark!

I am definitely going to work with this because the pie was most unique. For anyone in the south bay area of Los Angeles, the restaurant is The Green Temple, 1700 S Catalina Ave # 103, Redondo Beach, CA 90277. do consider visiting them.

Patricia