• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pepperidge Farm Bread Changes?

Chris Hennes

Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse-style white bread is my go-to sandwich bread, especially for PB&J and grilled cheese. It's firm enough that it doesn't tear or squish too much when spreading peanut butter, and it stands up to having a crisp "grilled" exterior better than softer styles of bread. But recently I noticed a packaging change: they are emphasizing the "softness" a lot more. So, that had me a bit worried, and sure enough, when I tried one of the newly-packaged loaves, it seemed softer. But was it really? Is the change just in the packaging and in my head, or is it really softer than it used to be? Do I really need to find another go-to bread?!?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org