• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'ecailler du bistrot (11e) & Le 21 (6e)

pierre45

L'ecailler du bistrot is quite well known and recommended by many guide books.

Its a cross between a bistrot and a brasserie,mostly because of its focus on fruits de mer.Its truly a sight to see ,huge platters of oysters,belons,clams,shrimps and all kind of shellfish served on a bed of ice.The regular menu also is nothing to sneer at with various choices of fish prepared with different sauces with generous use of butter.

Freshness of the ingredients is very high ,brought daily from the breton coast.

Wine list is also quite decent ,even though its a bit expensive .We drank a wonderful cote de nuits for 39 euros.The rapport qualite/prix is quite good at 50-60 euros/person.

Le 21 is located on rue de mazarine in the 6e.The owner ,Paul Minchelli had a restaurant in the 7e.I was curious to experience his new place.I started with sardines that were a bit salty and pedestrian and finished with squid risotto in its ink,which was quite tasty but a bit heavy.I also tasted the various dishes of my dinner companions .

My overall impression is that the food is quite robust and strongly flavored.Wines were excellent because they were ordered by someone knowledgeable in our group.

The rapport qualite/prix was not good .

You forgot to mention how snutty and unpleasant the service was at Le 21 -- I almost walked out immediately as I was greeted to "no tourist here!" followed by "Well it's no pleasure to see you" -- but the company made up for it. That said, I'll catch any chance to publicly say something nasty and detrimental about the place.

Some pictures of that dinner are there, btw: http://picasaweb.google.fr/ZeJulot/Le21#

Second the enthusiasm about L'Ecaille. First time there a few weeks ago; won't be the last.

Emphasis on (plateau) fruits de mer. Oysters that were wonderfully fresh (ten different kinds the night we were there). Had the Belon Speciales #5 and my wife the fine de Claire no. 3. Very good, half a dozen simple main fish courses. Wine list was better than just fine and priced well. Great service (how the three of them serve 50 is beyond me, but they do, do it well, and with a smile). Decent bread and great butter. Moderate check. 9 oysters each, two main courses (barbue with girolles and a St. Pierre), two desserts that were also very good, and a bottle of 2004 Zind Humbrecht Riesling for a total of 156 Euros.

Exactly what a place like this should be. They stay within their sphere of competence and that makes it a delight to eat there.

You forgot to mention how snutty and unpleasant the service was at Le 21 -- I almost walked out immediately as I was greeted to "no tourist here!" followed by "Well it's no pleasure to see you" -- but the company made up for it. That said, I'll catch any chance to publicly say something nasty and detrimental about the place.

Some pictures of that dinner are there, btw: http://picasaweb.google.fr/ZeJulot/Le21#

Ah Minchelli, up to his old tricks again.

It's been on my list since it opened and somehow I never get to it.

And I may never.

L'ecailler du bistrot is quite well known and recommended by many guide books.
As for l'Ecailler - Love those Utah beaches.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 9 months later...