• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Bouquet - whattaya think of it?

Starkman

In looking through a few older cookbooks I have, I've noticed a reasonable amount of usage of Kitchen Bouquet.

Well, a search of the forums brought up some hits, but nothing specific about current thought in using Kitchen Bouquet.

What's everybody's opinion?

Does it, in fact, add flavor, or is it namely for color?

Is there a better product, or do certain cooking methods and techniques suffice to aquire the same results?

Thanks,

Starkman

My hubby uses it for his Beef Vegetable soup and stews. He says that it does add a great color to the soup and stew, the flavor change is minimal. I have read that it is primarily a browning and seasoning sauce. It can be used as a gravy base.

It is also used by food stylists for a variety of appearance effects, including 'coffee' made by adding a few drops of Kitchen Bouquet to a cup of water and lending a browned appearance to poultry. - Wiki entry

I have had the mistake of accidentally dumping half a bottle of the stuff in a one-pot stew I was making and the sauce became acrid and bitter.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

• 1 month later...

Kitchen Bouquet is primarily caramel coloring with some vegetable stock. Most of time you can just substitute caramel coloring.

Caramel coloring is much, much cheaper than Kitchen Bouquet - you can get it at Smart and Final or at a restaurant supply store.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs