• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate for a diabetic

Lior

So it is like this:

I have 100% and I have 65% Valrhona with maltitol. I thought to combine them, as I often do, to get an 85-88% maltitol chocolate. I usually make bars and a praline with a water ganache. Obviously shelf life is a few days for the praline.

Now, I want to give a present to a customer of mine (who is diabetic) and always buys chocolates for her friend, who is an elderly lovely lady and has terminal cancer. Long stories!!! :wink:

Anyway the diabetic aquaintance/customer is such a lovely lady that I want to surprise her and make her a special gift for our holidays. I want it to be suitable for her disease as much as possible.

Any amazing ideas would be fantastic!!

Thanks!

So it is like this:

I have 100% and I have 65% Valrhona with maltitol. I thought to combine them, as I often do, to get an 85-88% maltitol chocolate. I usually make bars and a praline with a water ganache. Obviously shelf life is a few days for the praline.

Now, I want to give a present to a customer of mine (who is diabetic) and always buys chocolates for  her friend, who is an elderly lovely lady and has terminal cancer. Long stories!!!  :wink:

Anyway the diabetic aquaintance/customer is such a lovely lady that I want to surprise her and make her a special gift for our holidays. I want it to be suitable for her disease as much as possible.

Any amazing ideas would be fantastic!!

Thanks!

I don't know if this is amazing but to my father they were a real treat, and he loved them. Peanut butter dark chocolate truffles, or peanut butter cups. He could eat them because they didn't have too much sugar, and had protein. I don't know how to make them, I used to buy them at a chocolate shop that had a small selection of chocolates for diabetics.

Thank you!!!!

I had thought about this, a natural nut butter with no added sugar. I guess I need to consult with a pro because I wonder about the fats. In the cb and the nut b... I once was told that macadamia nuts are good for diabetics but I don't remember why as they seem fatty for sure. I will make a pnut butter and a macedamia butter. Perhaps a bar with a thin filling of nut butter, and a few crushed nuts to decorate the back of the bar.

I so appreciate your answer! Thanks. Time is running out. I made a 100% bar and included black and white sesame seeds in and on it. At least I have done one thing!!

I wonder about the fats. In the cb and the nut b...

I'm not an expert but have some knowledge of food science being a home ec. teacher. Fat shouldn't be an issue with your diabetic friend (if eaten in moderation!) Just like protein helps to regulate blood sugar - fat also helps to slow absorption of sugars into the bloodstream. What you're making is, after all, a treat - not to be eaten in large quantities!

I would recommend gianduja. So good. And again you have the protein. Yum.

It's a wonderful thing you're doing. I'm sure she will appreciate it so much.

Have fun!

Thanks Lana!! I will make a gianduja from 100% and praline that I make. Great idea. I wonder how it will turn out! Gianduja, which here is called "Nougat" (so confusing!!) is extremely well liked. Oh and Nougat as you know is called something else. A rough translation would be something along the lines of milk-atzia! I guess due to its white color!!

SO I have decided on giandujas. I will make a pistachio, almond, peanut and sesame seed gianduja. Each will have a decoration of its nut to identify. I mixed about 60% of 65% where 35% is maltitol and 40% of 100% to get close to 80% . So there is less maltitol. Then I will do a 50/50 mix with the nut butters. I have to wait till 4Pm for the stores to open to get sesame and peanut butter from the health food store. It can drive me mad that stores close between 2pm and 4pm for the mid afternoon siesta!!!!!! I never sleep! Why should they? :biggrin: