• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bar des Roses

Forest

With John's encouragement, I'm putting up a thread for the Bar des Roses 1, Rue de Vintimille, 75009 where I had a very nice dinner the other night and discussed on the Cocktails in Paris thread, but didn't really want to go OT there and post about the food. (thanks Felice & Fresh_A for the suggestion - i've walked past this place more times than I could count and never thought about going in!)

The place seems pretty unassuming - typical bar/cafe on the corner of Vintimille & Rue de Clichy (if you look it up online you'll get it listed under two different addresses on these two streets - they are one in the same). The bar area was packed with a lively bunch drinking wine and eating what looked like very nice charcuterie plates. It doesn't immediately seem like a restaurant because the small room full of tables to the side aren't set for dining.

But, they do have a dinner menu. Mainly they serve up tapas, but they also offer four different mains (pork, chicken, beef & tuna). All four of these can also be ordered in tapas size. The tapas prices ranged from about 5 to 11 Euros/plate. There was no one sitting in the dining area when we arrived around 9pm, but by 10 it was overflowing.

We had four tapas: tomato bread - basically bruschetta, but that's not what it was called on the menu (pain a la tomate), the beef in tapas size, a salad dish and octopus tentecle. All were excellent. The beef was superb...VERY rare, though, so non-rare eaters beware. (they don't ask how you want it cooked, so if you're going to ask for something more well done, I'm not sure the flavor would be worth it on this one)

The service was friendly. Apparently in a few weeks they will be putting some tables outside so there will be somewhat of a terrace. The server told me that it's a good place to reserve for a large group because the chef can do big plates of tapas and the prices get more interesting that way.

Between the two of us we had a beer, a dry martini, 4 tapas plates and a half bottle of wine and it totaled 62 Euros, which I thought was a great deal for the level of cuisine.

For me, it's a top find because it's a five minute walk from my place. But, I'd say this is worth the trip over if you want to have a variety of well done tapas with some fun wines or good drinks!

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 2 weeks later...

Just in follow up to my last post on Bars des Roses. I went there last night with a group of 10 + 1 kid and we had the big plates of tapas. We ordered all the same as above, plus the ceviche, a plate of charcuterie, another bread/veg combo and a couple of mixed dessert plates. We all had an apero before hand and went through three bottles of wine. There were a couple of coffees ordered at the end. The total came to 340 - so around 35 each for plenty of food and wine, starting drinks and dessert, which i think is not too bad at all for a meal this fun and this level of quality.

Again, I'll mention, the place is not fancy, but it's lively, the service is really friendly and this worked great for a big group. (any bigger than 10 or 11 and I'm not sure they could get everyone around 1 table though as the room is pretty small). But they're very accomodating, so perhaps!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 1 month later...

once again, I went with a larger group (8) to Bar des Roses last night. And, I think it's worth noting that they have just changed chefs (as of this weekend). The new one trained under the old one so things are pretty similar. But there have been slight simplifications on both the cocktails and the tapas menus. They still offer the filet de beouf and the poulpe - both of which were winners for me. However, the filet de beouf is now served with mashed potatoes rather than mashed plantaine. (personally I prefer this, but I think the plantaine made for something more interesting and unusual) However, we still enjoyed the nice tapas and lots of wine and got out again for less than 35/per person.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 2 weeks later...

Since a few of my last visits to Bar des Roses, I've been hearing more and more complaints from friends who have gone there with me in the past about declining quality and service. At first I thought it was a one-off, but there have been a good handful. So, i'm seriously beginning to wonder if Bar des Roses is one of those places that started out strong but doesn't really have the stamina to keep it up at that level. But, given the comments I've heard, my enthusiasm for them is waning. Anyone else been recently and have any input?

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 5 months later...

Just to let folks now, Bar des Roses is under new management - no mixed drinks, no more food. It's more of a stand at the counter and grab a glass of cheap wine or coffee place with a bit too much noise and activity thanks to the new electronic dartboard. So, ignore anything I've previously posted on it, since it's no longer the same.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 2 months later...

yet another post on the rollar coaster ride of Bar des Roses. The original owners have taken it back over from their leasors, ditched the dartboard and seem to be making an attempt to bring back some of the original charm. No food as of yet - but they say it should be coming in a few weeks. We were there on the first reopening night - early when it was still rather quiet. They offer a choice of five cocktails: cosmo, mojito, clover club, a kiss from a rose, and a bourbon sour. (actually I'm a bit fuzzy on whether I have those last three names right, but if they're not, they're damn close) Small choice, but well done for what it is. Jethro and Marie(?) were the very friendly pair behind the bar & I'm hoping they'll make this a neighborhood favorite of mine once again!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...