• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Annie_H

Annie_H

18 hours ago, Anna N said:
20 hours ago, weinoo said:

I find it's more about the cook than the equipment. 

Yep looking at stuff in many restaurant kitchens and cooking schools makes stuff in rentals seem pretty high-end!  I always remember my amazement that @gfron1was initially cooking on a tiny electric home range when he started out to become an award-winning chef. 

As I mentioned above, I did not bring up a 9 year old post. I usually like to read through postings first. This thread is titled 'cooking while on vacation'. I just read through and good ideas from nice folks that enjoy 'cooking' vacations. Some just cutting down costs. Traveling and eating out with picky kids can get expensive and frustrating. 

I'm not a trained chef but enjoy cooking. Starting years ago visiting in-laws and my parents was a gift to cook for them and take the burden off my mother and MIL with a houseful of family and extended. My MIL was a great cook back in the day and has all the best cooking gadgets and tools. Hundreds of cookbooks. My mother not so much. Two cookbooks. The few spices she has do not have bar codes. I've given them a few things over the years I thought she would like---proper sheet pans and a nice big low sided stainless heavy bottom braiser. Cooking on coil electric in thin pans isn't fun. No colander or pasta pot. 

This post is about cooking in a rental and what people bring/pack. Surprised so many pack cutting boards. As I should have done. 

I know many chefs and have been in many kitchens and cooking schools. Mostly high end kitchens and some shit-holes I would never eat. None have a scratched up RachelRay non-stick set. No cutting board, no salt and pepper. Nothing big enough to steam a dozen crabs. 

Next travel kitchen packing I need to take more thorough pics for a reminder. 

All fit nicely in a soft sided cooler carrier. Stacked with a couple hot pads and old kitchen towels--they had none, 🙄

TRAVEL KITCHEN BAG.png

Annie_H

Annie_H

17 hours ago, Anna N said:
19 hours ago, weinoo said:

I find it's more about the cook than the equipment. 

Yep looking at stuff in many restaurant kitchens and cooking schools makes stuff in rentals seem pretty high-end!  I always remember my amazement that @gfron1was initially cooking on a tiny electric home range when he started out to become an award-winning chef. 

As I mentioned above, I did not bring up a 9 year old post. I usually like to read through postings first. This thread is titled 'cooking while on vacation'. I just read through and good ideas from nice folks that enjoy 'cooking' vacations. Some just cutting down costs. Traveling and eating out with picky kids can get expensive and frustrating. 

I'm not a trained chef but enjoy cooking. Starting years ago visiting in-laws and my parents was a gift to cook for them and take the burden of my mother and MIL with a houseful of family and extended. My MIL was a great cook back in the day and has all the best cooking gadgets and tools. Hundreds of cookbooks. My mother not so much. Two cookbooks. The few spices she has do not have bar codes. I've given them a few things over the years I thought she would like---proper sheet pans and a nice big low sided stainless heavy bottom braiser. Cooking on coil electric in thin pans isn't fun. No colander or pasta pot. 

This post is about cooking in a rental and what people bring/pack. Surprised so many pack cutting boards. As I should have done. 

I know many chefs and have been in many kitchens and cooking schools. Mostly high end kitchens and some shit-holes I would never eat. None have a scratched up RachelRay non-stick set. No cutting board, no salt and pepper. Nothing big enough to steam a dozen crabs. 

Next travel kitchen packing I need to take more thorough pics for a reminder. 

All fit nicely in a soft sided cooler carrier. Stacked with a couple hot pads and old kitchen towels--they had none, 🙄

TRAVEL KITCHEN BAG.png