• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

17 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I usually mix it up.  I recently did three weeks of vacation with no cooking at home other than toast for breakfast, and by the end I was so sick of restaurant food.

I think this depends greatly on length of trip and where one goes. Certainly a 2-week or longer trip in one place, with one set of living quarters, and I'd be attempting a cook or two.  One of the reasons we travel is to experience the food of other cities/countries. In somewhere such as Paris, Rome, Barca, etc. I never get tired of going out; it's one of the reasons we travel. Yet for an extended stay, I'd certainly want to take advantage of the produce/products available and have some fun with them in the kitchen.

16 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yep looking at stuff in many restaurant kitchens and cooking schools makes stuff in rentals seem pretty high-end!  I always remember my amazement that @gfron1was initially cooking on a tiny electric home range when he started out to become an award-winning chef. 

Exactly...we used to have a joke, and I'm sure @paulraphael can understand this, having lived in apartments with barely functioning kitchens...if I can cook on the Crapmaster 3000, I can cook on anything. What I'm sure I would lack in a rental's kitchen isn't so much the equipment, but my spices, my herbs, my oils, my condiments, etc. etc.

weinoo

weinoo

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I usually mix it up.  I recently did three weeks of vacation with no cooking at home other than toast for breakfast, and by the end I was so sick of restaurant food.

I think this depends greatly on length of trip and where one goes. Certainly a 2-week or longer trip in one place, with one set of living quarters, and I'd be attempting a cook or two.  One of the reasons we travel is to experience the food of other cities/countries. In somewhere such as Paris, Rome, Barca, etc. I never get tired of going out; it's one of the reasons we travel. yet for an extended stay, I'd certainly want to take advantage of the produce/products available and have some fun with them in the kitchen.

51 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yep looking at stuff in many restaurant kitchens and cooking schools makes stuff in rentals seem pretty high-end!  I always remember my amazement that @gfron1was initially cooking on a tiny electric home range when he started out to become an award-winning chef. 

Exactly...we used to have a joke, and I'm sure @paulraphael can understand this, having lived in apartments with barely functioning kitchens...if I can cook on the Crapmaster 3000, I can cook on anything. What I'm sure I would lack in a rental's isn't so much the equipment, but my spices, my herbs, my oils, my condiments, etc. etc.