• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Season 6 – Las Vegas

Chris Hennes

You will note that those challenges are always under "controlled conditions." I am sure that those who participate are asked to sign confidentiality agreements, or at the very least, are lectured sternly about the importance of preserving the show's element of surprise. I am not sure what they do, but I guarantee it's something, and it seems to work.

Sure they do "something," but seems like there's no way to gaurantee that in a roomfull of culinary students, like in the football challenge, an anonymous internet post about what happened won't occur. They ain't. You could have them all sign an encyclopedia's worth of papers. How would you determine which person in that roomfull, who otherwise have no stake in the show or competition, posted about it? Or in the restaurant challenge. Or at Blue Hill Farms. Or at Natasha Richard's shindig. The only way to ensure what you say they are trying to ensure is to have no outsiders at all. Of course, unless you meant a double secret stern lecture.

I was sort of joking about the stern lecture. I really don't know what they do, but whatever it is, it works. There is obviously an element of risk, but they seem to control it by limiting the situations in which the cheftestants are seen in public during the season. The event at Blue Hill seems to have been witnessed only by staffers who work at the restaurant or on the farm, and there really weren't all that many culinary students present for the Super Bowl show. As I said, it's not as if they do something out on the city streets, where just anyone can walk by, hold up their cell phone and snap a photo.

You will note that those challenges are always under "controlled conditions." I am sure that those who participate are asked to sign confidentiality agreements, or at the very least, are lectured sternly about the importance of preserving the show's element of surprise. I am not sure what they do, but I guarantee it's something, and it seems to work.

Sure they do "something," but seems like there's no way to gaurantee that in a roomfull of culinary students, like in the football challenge, an anonymous internet post about what happened won't occur. They ain't. You could have them all sign an encyclopedia's worth of papers. How would you determine which person in that roomfull, who otherwise have no stake in the show or competition, posted about it? Or in the restaurant challenge. Or at Blue Hill Farms. Or at Natasha Richard's shindig. The only way to ensure what you say they are trying to ensure is to have no outsiders at all. Of course, unless you meant a double secret stern lecture.

I was sort of joking about the stern lecture. I really don't know what they do, but whatever it is, it works. There is obviously an element of risk, but they seem to control it by limiting the situations in which the cheftestants are seen in public during the season. The event at Blue Hill seems to have been witnessed only by staffers who work at the restaurant or on the farm, and there really weren't all that many culinary students present for the Super Bowl show. As I said, it's not as if they do something out on the city streets, where just anyone can walk by, hold up their cell phone and snap a photo.

I understand what you are suggesting. But there were a crap load of people at the Blue hills thing, the natasha thing, and even the finale party. What about last year's (2 years ago ?) football party? There is no informational security in those events. None. And the attendees have all the info. The random street guy you're talking about would not know who any of the people were, would not know what the challenge was, and would have no idea who made what. He's the least of your worries in that regard. His info would be "Top Chef filming in Central Park. No faux hawks this year!"

Obviously I grant they want to keep as tight a lid on things as possible, but I think a hugest factor in deciding where to stage events is about logistics and crowd control (and by that I mean control of selection and behaviour -- avoiding the buffoons you see at every live broadcast mugging in front of the camera).

• 2 months later...

Natalie Portman huh? Maybe I will watch this season after all. :biggrin:

Yeah, I know. *Oink-Oink* :raz:but I was probably going to watch it anyway...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

While the press releasse announces some of the Chefs that will be "featured" on the upcoming season of Top Chef--including Boulud, Hubert Keller and Paul Bartolotta--anticipate seeing some other world-class Chefs on the judging panel.

Think in terms of Chefs who have namesake restaurants in Las Vegas who we don't often see on American television.

Think in terms of Chefs who have namesake restaurants in Las Vegas who we don't often see on American television.

I'd like to see Thomas Keller. But I don't think that will happen.

I think I'd faint twice and die from intimidation if I were in a competition and he was a judge.

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

I think I'd faint twice and die from intimidation if I were in a competition and he was a judge.

I think it is highly doubtful it will be Thomas Keller. My guess Joel Robuchon.

He may very well be more intimidating then Thomas, if so.

Robert R

How about Guy Savoy? Both?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I would think with the "American television" hint it narrows it down to those two. :laugh:

Robert R

I would think with the "American television" hint it narrows it down to those two. :laugh:

Thomas Keller has been a judge on past seasons and he was mentioned in the press release as appearing again this year.

I wasn't so sublime with my "American television" hint now was I? But consider that Guy Savoy and Joel Robuchon are but two of the three world-class French Chefs who have restaurants in Las Vegas. There is of course, a third, Alain Ducasse.

A portion of the filming of "Top Chef: Season 6," Las Vegas, took place this past May while I was in town reporting on Vegas Uncork'd for our Klatsch discussion here .

If you've followed "Klatsch: Popping the Cork in Las Vegas," you've noted that I attended events during the week that included Robuchon, Savoy and Ducasse. In fact, all three were sat together at a panel discussion--a rare event indeed.

I 'm not privvy to the precise details of the filming of Top Chef nor who exactly will appear as a judge. But considering that these three French Masters were all in Las Vegas attending "Uncork'd" at the time of filming--and getting all three in town at the same time is a major undertaking--I am sure we are in for some surprises on this season's show.

Thomas Keller has been a judge on past seasons and he was mentioned in the press release as appearing again this year.

I wasn't so sublime with my "American television" hint now was I? But consider that Guy Savoy and Joel Robuchon are but two of the three world-class French Chefs who have restaurants in Las Vegas. There is of course, a third, Alain Ducasse.

A portion of the filming of "Top Chef: Season 6," Las Vegas, took place this past May while I was in town reporting on Vegas Uncork'd for our Klatsch discussion here .

If you've followed "Klatsch: Popping the Cork in Las Vegas," you've noted that I attended events during the week that included Robuchon, Savoy and Ducasse. In fact, all three were sat together at a panel discussion--a rare event indeed.

I 'm not privvy to the precise details of the filming of Top Chef nor who exactly will appear as a judge. But considering that these three French Masters were all in Las Vegas attending "Uncork'd" at the time of filming--and getting all three in town at the same time is a major undertaking--I am sure we are in for some surprises on this season's show.

I can't recall Thomas Keller ever being a judge on Top Chef. Or for that matter even appearing on the show at all. I'm also having no luck Googling it.

David do you happen to recall which season that was?

Robert R

Hubert Keller was a judge and is on Top Chef Masters but Thomas Keller has never been on the show.

You are of course right, I got my Chef Keller's mixed up!

• 1 month later...

Well, folks, the publicity has ramped up to fever pitch, Dom at SkilletDoux has posted the season preview Power Rankings, and the Bravo website has managed to crash my browser three times... it must be about time for another season of Top Chef! I agree with Dom's assessment that this year's field looks to be the strongest yet: there is some incredible talent in that pool, and even the losers look promising. Wednesday, 9 Eastern, 8 Central, be there!

(No, Bravo is not paying me for this. But they should be!!)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Well, folks, the publicity has ramped up to fever pitch, Dom at SkilletDoux has posted the season preview Power Rankings, and the Bravo website has managed to crash my browser three times... it must be about time for another season of Top Chef! I agree with Dom's assessment that this year's field looks to be the strongest yet: there is some incredible talent in that pool, and even the losers look promising. Wednesday, 9 Eastern, 8 Central, be there!

(No, Bravo is not paying me for this. But they should be!!)

Yep, a few more days to go before we see the brother Chefs duke it out on Top Chef. The few people I've talked to in Las Vegas that were witness to the proceedings have also said it is the most talented group of Top Chefs to date.

Sounds like some great talent. If they can resist the overwhelming urge to push the drama edits at every opportunity this should be a cool season. So it starts the same night as the T.C. Masters finale?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I really like this group. Man Atlanta is representing!

That one woman's bloody fingers while shucking clams. :shock:

When Eli mentioned drinking Padma licked her lips. HA!

I do a lot of vegatarian/vegan cooking and I have never warmed up to seitan. The chef's earlobes scared me more. I guess I'm old because I don't get it.

Puck's comments cracked me up. I like him as a judge.

What bothered me about the show were the HUGE popup ads. :angry: