• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Season 6 – Las Vegas

Chris Hennes

"I just think that when we start calling her the "female chef" we dumb the entire thing down. She's a chef. And she gave the other competitors a run for their money."

Thanks, Bob, not Roberta (!) Jen is a CHEF. A really talented one. That's all there is to it.

So if the next season of Top Chef had only male contestants than there should be no complaints because we are to look at all of the contestants from a gender-neutral perspective?

Not sure I agree with that. . .

"I just think that when we start calling her the "female chef" we dumb the entire thing down. She's a chef. And she gave the other competitors a run for their money."

Thanks, Bob, not Roberta (!) Jen is a CHEF. A really talented one. That's all there is to it.

So if the next season of Top Chef had only male contestants than there should be no complaints because we are to look at all of the contestants from a gender-neutral perspective?

Not sure I agree with that. . .

Since I'm the one who said what you're quoting I'll respond. That's obviously not what I said. There's no reason why we can't/shouldn't have an even number of male and female competitors (and I think they've done that in all seasons). All I'm saying is that by referring to the women as "female chefs" we're putting them into a different category and holding them to a different standard. Let's not take a step backwards here. If people started referring to me as a "woman lawyer" (like they might have done 60 years ago) I'd find it pretty demeaning.

Hate to jump back in here but I remember Jen being pretty confident of most of her dishes that got bombed.

She wasn't so much when she was talking to the "Confessional"

The judges don't see that stuff ( or at least I thought) hence Toms "shaky/all over the place" comment seemed especially phony.

I don't think she liked being interupted anyways.

2317/5000

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing all the risks and implication of the challenge, I would love to see an amateur version of Top Chef. I would probably be the first to enter! :laugh:

Would you have the guts?

Who said you could not play with your food?

Saw it, but cannot enter since I live north of the US border (Canada). The auditions are in 10 days, if anybody is interested.

The only downside for me is Ramsey. I do not beleive that beiing yelled at gets productive results in any way in a kitchen. It puts on a nice show for the general public and that is it.

Who said you could not play with your food?

Saw it, but cannot enter since I live north of the US border (Canada). The auditions are in 10 days, if anybody is interested.

The only downside for me is Ramsey. I do not beleive that beiing yelled at gets productive results in any way in a kitchen. It puts on a nice show for the general public and that is it.

Yes, he does seem a strange choice.

MasterChef Australia went the opposite route, with the show praised for its non-harsh attitude towards contestants. It was apparently (I didn't watch it) a softer, friendlier reality show. The ratings were through the roof.

At the tryout site

http://www.3ballproductions.com/masterchef.html

they mention the contestants being mentored and encouraged.

On the flip side, it's the same people who made 'the biggest looser', Fox, and 5 weeks of living on camera.

I was thinking, what kind of bias comes into a show when all contestants are required to give up their life for over a month?