• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Season 6 – Las Vegas

Chris Hennes

anyone catch the reunion show last night? a nice diversion from watching yankees run around the bases. beyond that it was truly awful.

i guess the formula is 1) gather a an odd group of people 2) add alcohol 3) film.

Did someone die and who elected Fabio "king of the universe"? What smarmy silly waste of time. I half expected Fabio to show up selling cars in the commercials. I think Tom's job is safe. "I have an acceeent, get over it!"

And that twit, Mattine (?) what a waste of skin. "I have a 'tude but can't back it up!" I will give him one prop, kicking Tobie all over God's green earth does give you some socially redeeming value.

Even Samantha Brown would have hard time summoning a "wow" for this. Anthony Bourdain

I guess no-one slapped Paul Bartolotta on the hand as a child for putting his knife in his mouth. :wink:

Actually, that's a cultural thing...my husband uses his knife an just another means of getting food into his mouth - he uses it in conjunction with his fork in some sort of crazy and occasionally frightening way. That's the way he was raised. Oh well...as he always says, "I'm European, we're wierd that way".

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I don't mind the ever affable Fabio, and still enjoy his colorful use of English. Marcel is still a defensive, highly strung little putz, no matter how good his cooking. Hung seems to have mellowed, and Stefan is still enjoyably prickly. But it was still a yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnn. And where was the infamous Tiffani/Dave "I ain't your bitch, bitch!" clip? Come ON! If you want some video gold, that would be a keeper. I guess Mikey wasn't available, so we didn't get to enjoy Bourdain's infamous "Flinstonian" and "the love child of Charles Manson and Betty Crocker" soundbites all over again. Season 5's volleyball net in the stew room and the Glad Family of Plastic Bags/Wrap mattress were pure genius. And very funny, too.

The Reunion special did, at least, provide a little mental bubblegum for those who could not bear to watch the World Series, Dinner:Impossible or another hour of Dog the Bounty Hunter - but that's as far as I go.

Haven't read the comments in this thread but I'm pulling for Kevin. He has showed skill and class and the brother rivalry is really getting old for me personally. I think it was very poor form for (can't remember which brother) got his ass in a twist over the Kale dish that Kevin made.

Actually, I'd agree with Michael. From the looks of the dishes, Michael's was superior and from the judge's descriptions, the skill set to complete that dish was superior. I would also note he took a greater risk in putting out that dish than Kevin did in his and I think if the other judges were the ones to make the call, it wouldn't have been Kevin. Of course, I did not taste either dish, so I can only rely on what is provided in the TV edit.

As for Jen, I think the Judges need to put the poor girl out of her misery. I think she is clearly one of the "better" chefs on the show, but I think she might have a nervous breakdown or a panic attack in the middle of challenge. She is an absolute wreck and is just a shadow of her former self.

In an alleged "shocker," E! Online reports that one of the four acknowledged favoritesKevin, Jennifer, Bryan V, or Mike V"got kicked off before the end."

This is totally non-shocking. In fact, it's as empty a story as you can get. Since every season of Top Chef has come down to two or three chefs, it follows that at least one of the four must get sent home earlier.

As for Jen, I think the Judges need to put the poor girl out of her misery. I think she is clearly one of the "better" chefs on the show, but I think she might have a nervous breakdown or a panic attack in the middle of challenge. She is an absolute wreck and is just a shadow of her former self.

I am still on the fence as to whether she is having a panic attack, or if she's just intensely self-critical. But my sense is that if there is any way to save her, the producers would prefer to have her in the Top 3, as otherwise it would be an all-male finale (assuming there's no way Robin can get there).

Edited by oakapple (log)

I guess no-one slapped Paul Bartolotta on the hand as a child for putting his knife in his mouth. :wink:

Actually, that's a cultural thing...my husband uses his knife an just another means of getting food into his mouth - he uses it in conjunction with his fork in some sort of crazy and occasionally frightening way. That's the way he was raised. Oh well...as he always says, "I'm European, we're wierd that way".

Even in Europe, that style still falls somewhere in the lower half of the table manners continuum. It's not just a cultural thing, but a socio-economic thing.

In an alleged "shocker," E! Online reports that one of the four acknowledged favorites—Kevin, Jennifer, Bryan V, or Mike V—"got kicked off before the end."

This is totally non-shocking. In fact, it's as empty a story as you can get. Since every season of Top Chef has come down to two or three chefs, it follows that at least one of the four must get sent home earlier.

lol I know, I read that one of the four get kicked off, and thought to myself 'How is this news? they said there was only three spots in the finale, of course one of them goes home'.

Honestly though, I'm actually going to go out on a limb and say it's bryan that goes. He's been coasting easily enough, but lately it seems like his coasting has a little less momentum, and I guess I can see the one getting the least attention out of the four lately going home - kinda hitting you out of the blue. Jen I could see herself pulling out of her slump, mike - well, I know a lot of people think he's way too cocky, but barring any great mishap I can see him in the end, and kevin....well, does anyone see kevin going home early? I seriously can't picture it.

Also, i'm on board with that reunion dinner being a complete waste. I mean, I guess it was sorta nice to see some of them, but nothing that interesting, and really nothing more than a good waste of an hour. I think to make it entertaining they should have made marcel host.

Edited by MattyC (log)

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

Also, i'm on board with that reunion dinner being a complete waste. I mean, I guess it was sorta nice to see some of them, but nothing that interesting, and really nothing more than a good waste of an hour. I think to make it entertaining they should have made marcel host.

I am assuming they looked at the calendar and realized they could be up against the World Series, and needed something else they could use as filler.

I am assuming they looked at the calendar and realized they could be up against the World Series, and needed something else they could use as filler.

I don't think so. A few weeks ago they annoyed everyone by not showing anything new at all for no apparent reason at all. That would be what you do if you were afraid about a drain on viewers. The reunion show may have sucked, but it sure wasn't a freebie for them that they could toss away rather than just taking a pass altogether. And also, they showed a new episode last Wednesday and that one was up against Game 1 of the series. They just have these crappy event shows once in a while, to stretch out the season run and remind us of personalities from previous seasons for when they rerun them at slow times.

Another really low-brow decision on the part of the Producers. Really, do they think we don't have anything better to do on a Wednesday night other than watching Marcel. Again. And Again.

Seriously, this is Bravo you're talking about. They'll milk every show they have for everything it's worth and then they'll set it on fire for the insurance money. I mean how many "Housewives of . . ." shows do they have on this channel.

If you want quality programming go watch BBC.

That renion was useless and confusing. I'd prefer an all-star reunion charity challenge, or something with a little bite to it-- the dinner was a non-challenge with no inners and one loser. sigh. a real waste of an hour.

As for the four favorites, my money is on Bryan too-- he's been napping lately and that's worse than Jen's jumpiness. In the past when she went down, she compensated so I hope she'll turn it around. Maybe they'll let them sleep for a day and that'll do the trick.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

I think it was test run for Fabio doing his own show. C'mon, fan favourite? Cute, accent, safely married but charming? Who complains abot bunky beds and loves his Mama?

It wasn't fun Top Chef but it was better than nothing. At least I could knit while being mildly entertained and watching nice food being made.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I don't mind the ever affable Fabio, and still enjoy his colorful use of English. Marcel is still a defensive, highly strung little putz, no matter how good his cooking. Hung seems to have mellowed, and Stefan is still enjoyably prickly. But it was still a yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnn. And where was the infamous Tiffani/Dave "I ain't your bitch, bitch!" clip? Come ON! If you want some video gold, that would be a keeper. I guess Mikey wasn't available, so we didn't get to enjoy Bourdain's infamous "Flinstonian" and "the love child of Charles Manson and Betty Crocker" soundbites all over again. Season 5's volleyball net in the stew room and the Glad Family of Plastic Bags/Wrap mattress were pure genius. And very funny, too.

The Reunion special did, at least, provide a little mental bubblegum for those who could not bear to watch the World Series, Dinner:Impossible or another hour of Dog the Bounty Hunter - but that's as far as I go.

I like Fabio a lot, but I can see why Tom would want to skip that show. Was food ever an item? Every single reason I could give for not watching Top Chef was paraded across the screen, from deceptive cut scenes to focus on drama instead of food. Where was the food? I wanted to see that Hung \'s salt crusted fish, I wanted to see whatever the hell was in those shot glasses. I think Marcel is a good chef and that he was provoked because, well, they know he will react and make for extra drama, much like the schoolyard bully knows which kid to pick on. This is -not- the direction Top Chef should go in, there is enough stupid on tv as it is.

I like Fabio a lot, but I can see why Tom would want to skip that show. Was food ever an item? Every single reason I could give for not watching Top Chef was paraded across the screen, from deceptive cut scenes to focus on drama instead of food. Where was the food? I wanted to see that Hung \'s salt crusted fish, I wanted to see whatever the hell was in those shot glasses. I think Marcel is a good chef and that he was provoked because, well, they know he will react and make for extra drama, much like the schoolyard bully knows which kid to pick on. This is -not- the direction Top Chef should go in, there is enough stupid on tv as it is.

While we may be interested in the food and the technique, TC would last about 2 episodes and be off the air. Let us not forget the real reason for any show, enough attraction to get the advertising dollar. The drama and the personalities are what sells, not the food. Granted, some, perhaps much is overdone, but the personalities and the drama even draws us into its grasp to varying degrees. Let's just feel lucky that even with the parts we don't like that its a pretty darn good show. Enough so to have us bantering and reading about it.

A question too, speaking of advertising, that I'll toss out is, other than Glad products, what advertisers do you remember from say the last 2 or 3 episodes? We get GE monogram and Whole Foods drilled into us from the show itself, but who remembers any of the other advertisers?

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

A question too, speaking of advertising, that I'll toss out is, other than Glad products, what advertisers do you remember from say the last 2 or 3 episodes? We get GE monogram and Whole Foods drilled into us from the show itself, but who remembers any of the other advertisers?

Let's see here:

-M Resort

-Verizon

-CraftSteak

-TV Guide

-Schwan's

-Restaurant Depot

-the aforementioned Toyota (Venza to be specific)

Those crispy snack things, don't recall the name of the product but I looked and found them at the store so that much of the placement worked (and the other part, where I'm supposed to then buy them, did not -- I was just curious to see if they sold them). Plus Macy's.

Those crispy snack things, don't recall the name of the product but I looked and found them at the store so that much of the placement worked (and the other part, where I'm supposed to then buy them, did not -- I was just curious to see if they sold them). Plus Macy's.

Ah, the Alexia brand snack foods. Whole Foods sells them.

Alexia...good oven fries. I keep a bag of them around for emergency dinners.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”