• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

if you could only eat 1 kind of bread for the rest

gingerbeer

Fresh Baked. :raz:

There are too many to choose but I would have say the bread (French loaf) from a small local bakery in the town I grew up in. Bakery is still there but the baker is long passed. His recipe cards were not the same as he baked by. That he kept to himself. :angry:

Edited by pyrguy (log)

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

I'm somewhat partial to a thick slice of freshly baked flax bread drizzled with flax oil and honey but I'd really hate to have to make the decision for that to be the only bread I could have for the rest of my life. Tough question.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yeast leavened.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

That's a toss-up. There's a purveyor in my area who sells a European Black Bread, with sunflower seeds in it. Then there's the diner, which offers a 7-grain bread with a tight crumb, a taste similar to a pan de campagne, and a thick, hard crust.

Either one, warm, with whipped honey butter - um, um, good!

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Wow, what a question.

For Sophie's Bread Choice -- I'll go with homemade . . .

warm rosemary focaccia
. . . with the olive oil dripping from my elbows.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Really really good garlic naan, with plenty of blackened texture and plenty of tasty chew. Other contenders could be Xinjiang nang with sesame seeds (omigod so good,) roomali roti with copious amounts of butter, and Chinese onion cakes...if those even count.

It might be my unrelenting taco cravings talking, but I might have to go with corn tortillas. Not that I wouldn't miss salt-topped rosemary sourdough, seeded baguettes, or warm potato bread slathered in butter. Either way, it would be a sad life that had only one kind of bread in it.

Am I eating this bread right out of the oven? 12 hours past?

If I need to buy it in the morning and still eat later, and also use it for fettunta or pappa al pomodoro or gazpacho, I would commit to buying round, crusty bread like this.

Now, if you promise me that every time I want to eat bread I'll get it right out of the oven then I would probably say baguette.

Very dark pumpernickel from Montreal, a small round loaf with corn meal on the bottom, which my Bubbie Goldberg used to serve me, chunked in a bowl of sour cream, which used to taste like sour cream, and cottage cheese with salt and pepper.

This I have not tasted in decades but still remember with great fondness. :wub::wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.