• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Molise53

Italian Easter Pies - "Shadoons" or "Chadonnes"

9 posts in this topic

Anybody else's family make these? We make then on Holy Thursday every year. We roll out the dough into rounds, then stuff with a filling of basket cheese, romano cheese, pepperoni and eggs. Roll the dough into a half moon, brush with egg yolks and bake. We also make varieties with prosciutto instead of pepperoni and ones with crabmeat or shrimp so we can eat those ones on Good Friday.

i love gnocchi

The "chadoons" or "chadonnes" pronunciation strikes me as a bit of the same Italian-American transmutation of Italian or dialect that gives us "gabbagool" for coppacolla and similar.

Does your family by chance go back to Campobasso in the Molise region of Italy? It sounds like you're talking about sciadone di carnivale (sciadone = "sha-doe-neh"). Sounds like soppresata is the traditional filling in Campobasso, along with eggs, fresh cow cheese and aged cow cheese, and that the dough is made with wine. Of course, there are lots of "easter pie" traditions in Italy, but this one seems to be at least where the word you're using comes from. :smile:

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

YES! YES! YES! My family is from right outside Campobasso in Cercemaggiore. My grandfather and father always made homemade sausages and soppressata, but neither my grandmaother or mother never used it in our "Shadoons" - it's always been pepperoni, or occasionally prosciutto. We've never put wine in our dough either. But both ideas - the soppressata and the wine - sound like they're worth experimenting with this year!

I've been wondering if anybody outside our circle of family or friends ever made shadoons - sciadone! - or heard of them!

Thanks for the response, it was exciting to see a mention of the Campobasso region all the old timers in my family used to talk about so much.

i love gnocchi

Italian-American transmutation of Italian or dialect

I love it - I live it

No Easter pies here though, I had never heard of them until I started reading Bill Ervelino's column in the Record newspaper. Funny guy and his mom make lots of pies.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I should confirm that by "pie" I mean more of a half moon shaped filled pie. Almost like a calzone or, more crudely, a Hostess fruit pie. The dough we use is it a circle shape, we put the filling down and flip over the dough to make a half moon shaped "pie" filled with the cheeseegg and pepperoni filling.

i love gnocchi

Can the dough be rolled out using a pasta maker

yes you can use a pasta machine to roll the dough, just make it more thin than thick, you want the pepperoni and cheeses inside to cook and melt through

i love gnocchi

• Similar Content

• By shain
      Makes 40 cookies, 2 loaves. 

50-60 g very aromatic olive oil
      80 g honey 
      120 to 150 g sugar (I use 120 because I like it only gently sweet) 
      2 eggs
      2 teaspoons of fine lemon zest, from apx 1 lemon 
      230 g flour 
      1 teaspoon salt 
      1 teaspoon baking powder 
      75 g lightly toasted peeled pistachios
      50 g lightly toasted almonds (you can replace some with pine nuts) 
      Optional: a little rosemary or anise seed
      Optional: more olive oil for brushing

Heat oven to 170 deg C.
      In mixer (or by hand), mix oil, honey, sugar, lemon, egg and if desired, the optional spices - until uniform. 
      Separately mix together the flour, salt and baking powder. 
      Add flour mixture to mixer bowel with liquids and fold until uniform. Dough will be sticky and quite stiff. Don't knead or over mix. 
      Add nuts and fold until well dispersed. 
      On a parchment lined baking tray, create two even loaves of dough. 
      With moist hands, shape each to be rectangular and somewhat flat - apx 2cm heigh, 6cm wide and 25cm long. 
      Bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden and baked throughout, yet somewhat soft and sliceable. Rotate pan if needed for even baking. 
      Remove from tray and let chill slightly or completely. 
      Using a sharp serrated knife, gently slice to thin 1/2 cm thick cookies. Each loaf should yield 20 slices. 
      Lay slices on tray and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 10-15 minutes until complelty dry and lightly golden. 
      Brush with extra olive oil, if desired. This will and more olive flavor. 
      Let chill completely before removing from tray. 
      Cookies keep well in a closed container and are best served with desert wines or herbal tea. 

• By JoNorvelleWalker
      Steve Sando had a nice write up in the Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/06/dining/marcella-hazan-rancho-gordo-beans.html?ref=dining

According to FedEx tracking my Marcella beans (and others) are due to arrive tomorrow.
    • By Suzi Edwards
      i made some pesto on saturday and was wondering how long people would keep it for in the fridge. my partner is happy to scrape mould off stuff (bleurgh) and he says it will keep until saturday. i don't believe him...
      any ideas?
    • By Hermann Morr
      Ever seen this cooking technique ?

A reference with pictures in italian language. Could'nt find any in english.

http://cheprofumino.blogspot.it/2009/02/la-nostra-pizzasenza-forno.html