• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big chicken list

I've now put up the http://science-of-food.com/bigchickenlist.pdf being some 60 garnishes and accompanying sauces for chicken breast as known to the cuisine classique.

This has some history of the origin of the names, with pictures, so is about 600kb file

Its is a companion to the big steak list http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=122996

As ever, comments, additions and corrections welcome

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Thanks for sharing your work with all of us. I particularly enjoys the information on the origin of the recipe.

I am not an expert on cuisine classique but I always thought of sauce albufera as a foie-gras sauce (which it goes without saying is very good with chicken). I wonder if there are many variations of particular sauces and topings that share the same name.

Escoffier says:

87 - Ivory Sauce or Albufera Sauce

Take the necessary quantity of Supreme sauce, prepared as explained in no. 106a.

Add to this 4 tablespoonfuls of dissolved pale meat glaze per quart of sauce, in order to lend the latter that ivory-white tint which characterises it. Serve this sauce chiefly with poultry or poached sweet-bread

106a- Supreme Sauce

The salient characteristics of Supreme sauce are its perfect whiteness and consummate delicacy, It is generally prepared in small quantities only.

Preparation - Put 1 1/2 pints very clear poultry stock and add 1/4 pint mushroom cooking liquor into a sautepan. Reduce to 2/3.; add 1 pint poultry veloute; reduce on an open fire stirring with a spatula the while and combine 1/2 pint excellent cream with this sauce, the last ingredient being added little by little.

When the sauce has reached the desired consistance, strain it through a sieve and add another 1/4 pint cream and 2 oz best butter. Stir with a spoon from time to time or keep the pan covered.

I do like Escoffier's clear instructions; this sauce is still up to date today.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I don't dispute this interpretation of Albufera sauce but when you google "sauce albufera" and request only French results you will see that most recipes call for foie gras as a base and thickening agent. I wonder if this is a recent evolution.

I guess there are many different versions,

Larousse adds red pepper puree, but no foie gras.

According to http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/alalbufera

This more extravagant version was invented by Alphonse Dugléré (1805 - 1884), chef of the "Café Anglais" in Paris. Dugléré had been trained by Marie-Antoine Carême while Carême worked for Baron James de Rothschild (1792 - 1868).

Albufera is a freshwater lake near Valencia, where paella rice is grown. The garnish's name, however, has nothing to do with the rice: Dugléré named it in honour of Marshal Louis Gabriel Suchet (1770 - 1826), who was named Duke of Albufera after his victory over the British at Lake Albufera on 9 January 1812

Thanks Jack,

Another comprehensive resource.

One comment: when I view the document, it seems to have put a very small part of the pictures on a separate page. As a consequence your 8 page PDF comes out as 16 pages when opened.

I look forward to the next instalment of the series.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog