• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Oaxaca al Gusto" by Diana Kennedy

Per Cristina Barros and Marco Buenrostro in today's Itacate column in La Jornada:

www.jornada.unam.mx/2009/03/31/index.php?section=opinion&article=a08o1cul

Diana Kennedy's latest and long-awaited book on the cuisines of Oaxaca is finally out. Since Amazon does not have the title listed as an advance copy, I can only wonder whether it is now out in Spanish, shortly to appear in English.

No surprise here, but Barros & Buenrostro seem to feel that she has really hit another one out of the park. I can hardly wait to get my hands on my promised copy.

Excited regards,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

From my research, there is only the Spanish version and no plans as of now to put out an English translation. Plus it is a $100 investment. A bit steep for me, but I do understand there are fabulous pictures.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

From my research, there is only the Spanish version and no plans as of now to put out an English translation.  Plus it is a $100 investment.  A bit steep for me, but I do understand there are fabulous pictures.

Photos by, among others, Ignacio Urquiza ... whose food photography may be without peer. And text by a woman of whom Alma Guillermoprieto said saved a cuisine.

It will be translated, and soon. In the meantime, it's a great reason to learn some Spanish, don't you think?

Me? The piggy lies in shards all over the dining table, and a friend in Puebla has been charged with picking up a copy. I may be beans, chiles, and tlayuda diet for a year to pay for it ... but think of what she'll teach me to do with those ingredients!

Regards,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

I hate to gloat, but I have it and it's fabulous. So many recipes and photos and lots of the photos are by DK herself, some just excellent.

It's not going to be easy to cook with here as the ingredients can be so hard to find but there are enough things to make and certainly it's going to be a good food guide on the next trip. The use of yuca in one of the regions is extensive and appealing. And lots of beans, of course.

Worth every penny but I think it's about 60 bucks in Mexico. It's big and substantial and I wouldn't be upset if I'd paid $100.

eta:

3341624227_37be71c0df.jpg

Edited by rancho_gordo (log)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

RG is right, the book is terrific and it will be difficult to cook one's way through it here in the U.S. as some of the ingredient - especially the herbs and other vegetation - aren't commonly available, even in Mexican markets in areas with large Mexican populations. I, too, have the cookbook and paid about $60 US in Mexico for it. The photography is beautiful and reading it is making my Spanish better, though it's sometime slow going for me :rolleyes: .

The skinny on the book (and it's not skinny by any means) is that a wealthy Mexican industrialist paid for the book to be printed. I understand that the entire book run was only 3,000 books and the sponsor kept 2,000 of them. Diana, of course, got a stock of books which is where mine (and I believe RGs) came from.

RuthinCondechi, who sometimes posts on this board, may have additional information on availability.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Now on my third post! I know the book was presented in Monterrey, my hometown, and sponsored Alfonso Romo (the rich guy someone mentioned keeping 2K books of the 3K). The original price of the book, at the presentation, was $800 pesos. Now it sells for 1,100. Since I live in Boston, I had to call family members (parents and a sister) to buy me a copy. Is it possible to buy it from DK herself?

Thanks and best to all!

Mario

Hello All,

Now on my third post! I know the book was presented in Monterrey, my hometown, and sponsored Alfonso Romo (the rich guy someone mentioned keeping 2K books of the 3K). The original price of the book, at the presentation, was $800 pesos. Now it sells for 1,100.  Since I live in Boston, I had to call family members (parents and a sister) to buy me a copy. Is it possible to buy it from DK herself?

Thanks and best to all!

Mario

HI Mario, welcome to the Mexico board :smile:

Yes, it is possible to purchase the book directly from DK. Both my book and Rancho Gordo's book (photographed upthread) came from Diana and are signed. RuthinCondechi got them from Diana and sold them to us.

Whether $600, $800 or $1,100MXP the book is stunning and worth every peso, dollar or euro.

Since my name was mentioned above, here's the skinny (I sent this as a response to a private inquiry on the book):

Diana Kennedy's book "Oaxaca" was presented on April 1 in Monterrey, see http://agencia.cuartoscuro.com/agencia/sea...63d907b646ebdcf

for photos.

Weighing in at a mere 3 KILOS the book is, for me, a definitive study of 11 regions of Oaxaca. As I understand the book is selling in Monterrey for $1100 Pesos ( at today's exchange rate about $84 USD), there are ONLY 3,000 copies and I know it is selling fast and furious. It is only available in Spanish and this edition may never be available as it is.

Many of the photographs are by Diana and the layout is lush and colorful!

So if you really want one....

I have my own copy and can get my hands on about another 4 copies.

The main cost, after that of the book, is the shipping. Am trying to work something out now with a friend who is going to the states.

Let me know if this interests you and we can try and make it happen. Remember, only 3,000 copies, and its selling and being shipped to D.K. devotees all over the world.

And as posts like the ones above make it clear there were a LIMITED number that were sold at way BELOW the actual cost of the book. Consider yourselves blessed and hold on to those copies, they've already appreciated in value and will only continue to do so, especially if there is NO other printing!

Thanks kalypso! I would love to get a copy ASAP! RuthinCondeschi, I am interested. With probably less than 500 copies left (wild guess), I can't afford not to get my hands on a copy. What do I have to do next?

Best to all,

Mario

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I think people know this but in case they don't, the English version is coming out this fall, slightly different and just as beautiful. University of Texas Press!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

• 2 months later...

I just saw this yesterday when I was searching availability for The Essentials of Mexican Cuisine - I didn't know it was a newly available book. I can't imagine ever being able to cook from it, but I'd love to hear more about the dishes from Oaxaca.

Miss Kennedy herself will be here at Rancho Gordo in Napa for a book presentation/party and more on Oct 30. We're going to have lots of food and drink. No charge and all fans of Mexican food are welcome.

Twitter @RanchoGordo

Chris, I have the cookbook and whether or not you can do the recipes will depend upon the recipe itself. Some of them are fairly doable and make use of readily available ingredients. Others? Not so much. If you live near an area with a large population of Oaxacans - such as Los Angeles - you're probably going to have accessess to a slightly larger part of the ingredient pool.

That said, it is a beautiful cookbook. And the price from U of TX Press is very economical. It's worth the investment just for the read.

Edited by kalypso (log)

• 1 month later...

Just pre-ordered, I would have liked the Spanish version but my Spanish is not that great and one-click shopping is so much easier!

I have just about every book of Kennedy's she has published in English since my mother-in-law gave me a copy of the original 'Cuisines of Mexico' many years ago. Now with Supermercados in many cities and towns, its a lot easier to obtain ingredients than 20 years ago.-Dick