• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Definitely lamb. Love the flavor of lamb best of any red meat!

Spicing: oh dear, it varies so. Lots of sweet spices, such as cardamon, allspice, cinnamon and cumin (those are constants!), black pepper, a tiny hint of clove, maybe some ground fenugreek or dried methi, dried mint if I have any around. And a little salt.

And for extra moisture (and flavor) -- Worcestershire (regular or "white wine" version, which actually works better here), or steak or A-1 sauce. (I guess it's okay to admit using those, since Maggi seems to have received the eGullet imprimatur. :wink: )

We used to eat it in the Middle Eastern restaurants on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn; but now we just have it at home: with lentil-and-rice pilaf and tzatziki.

Bennie's in Englewood NJ makes a killer kofta kebab sandwich. Babylon in Hackensack (River Edge?) makes a great kofta (they call it Adana Kebab in Turkey) as well, although they are shaped like miniature hamburgers. I like to order mine in Iskender Kebab preparation there, which is in a tomato based sauce served over bread with garlic yoghurt sauce. This preparation is also used for Doner/Donair/Gyro meat as well.

Both of these restaurants use a lamb/beef mixture, I think.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I make them with lamb or goat... and sometimes, when out of minced goat, I will add some beef.

And yes I love methi in my kebabs....

Some methi and garlic in a molten chocolat cake never hurts either... It is true what they say, it is all about contrast. :wink:

Bennie's in Englewood NJ makes a killer kofta kebab sandwich. Babylon in Hackensack (River Edge?) makes a great kofta (they call it Adana Kebab in Turkey) as well, although they are shaped like miniature hamburgers. I like to order mine in Iskender Kebab preparation there, which is in a tomato based sauce served over bread with garlic yoghurt sauce. This preparation is also used for Doner/Donair/Gyro meat as well.

Both of these restaurants use a lamb/beef mixture, I think.

I enjoy both the Adana kebab and the Iskender Kebab.

Now only if eGullet ran charter busses between NYC and these great restaurants. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

My absolute favorite kofta recipe is one I originally tasted when I was in Istanbul. Ground lamb mixed with chopped pistachios and onion, seasoned with garlic, salt, chili pepper flakes, cumin and black pepper. Served with Pomegranate molasses.

There are so many great variations on kofta, but this one stands out for me.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

i had potato koftas at a diwali party last week--they were really good, but then i was reading the lamb recipe in my madhur jaffrey book afterwards. it sounds intriguing, but i have never cooked with ground lamb before. tighe, your description sounds great--do you have the recipe?

Is it at Diwan where they serve red lentil koftas? Germany is the world's leader in kofte kebabs. It is akin to curry in the U.K. and it has almost become the national dish. It's sort of amusing considering how much discrimination there is among German's towards the Turkish population in Germany. The problem with most koftes is that they are often dry. Few people get the grill time right. But a perfectly cooked kofte is like a hamburger plus. Almost a sausage but not quite. When they are on, the koftes at Sahara in Brooklyn are really good. They sell so many that there is a guy who does nothing other then skewer kofte kebabs all night.

I'm not an experienced halal meat shopper but, I understand that it's the motion of the knife that makes the right kofte kebab. We've tried to make them at home and it's all about the texture. You also can't pack them too tight. Loosly packed koftes with the right grill times are really juicy. And I'm with Jason in that Iskender is the way to go. But what about Seekh Kebabs? How do they differ from koftes?

But what about Seekh Kebabs? How do they differ from koftes?

In the Indian context Steve, Seekh Kebabs are shaped like sausages and are made with minced lamb/beef or goat and some spices and herbs. Koftes are shaped like meatballs and often also have addition of ginger, garlic and lentils and also nuts. They can be served dry or mantled in a sauce.

Koftes are shaped like meatballs and often also have addition of ginger, garlic and lentils and also nuts.

Gee most koftes that I've been served have been on skewers. In fact that's one of the tricky things about making them. The meat has to be chopped or minced in such a way that you can mold it around a skewer and shape it so the meat sticks together. And some of them are shaped into ridges. I had lunch on Sunday at Hemsin (Turkish restaurant in Queens) and their refrigerated case was loaded with skewers of adana kebab (kofte) that were laid out on skewers and each skewer was ridged from top to bottom.

And in Indian cooking Koftas are minced meat/chicken/fish/vegetable balls... and Kababs are things grilled on skewers.  They can be minced, fillets or other cuts of meats, fish or vegetables.

Just as I said above...

Koftas are meat balls or any balls made with minced meat most of the time.. or even minced fish or vegetables or cheese.

Kebabs are those items that are grilled in an oven laced onto skewers. And an oven in the Indian context was most often a Tandoor.

But isn't a seekh kebab cooked on a skewer in a tandoor?

Not necessarily. Seekh kabab in Northern India and in many Punjabi outfits tend to be in na tandoor. However, in South India, mostly in Hyerabad, the kebabs are over coal fired grills. Of late (in Mumbai) I have seen it done in electric grills.

anil

Seekh kebab in India are derived from Adana kebab in Turkiye, except Adana is really spicy. I think the variety and ubquiety of kofte in Istanbul is remarkable. I'll make it a point to ask the native names of some of tem when I go to IST end of the month.

anil

But isn't a seekh kebab cooked on a skewer in a tandoor?

Not necessarily. Seekh kabab in Northern India and in many Punjabi outfits tend to be in na tandoor. However, in South India, mostly in Hyerabad, the kebabs are over coal fired grills. Of late (in Mumbai) I have seen it done in electric grills.

They are shaped like sausages. And can be baked in the tandoor, grill or even oven.

Stellabella, 

Would you care to share more about the potato koftas in the Indian forum?  They sound wonderful. 

And I shall dig up a recipe for lamb koftas if you need one... Though it may be very similar to Madhurs.  Let me know if you still want it. :smile:

sure....

all the food at the supper was vegetarian. one of my students described this dish as koftas--though the recipe i found called for beef or lamb. instead of meat these were primarily potato and a few peas. but the sauce they were in seemed like the one described in the recipe. it was a bit creamy--the one distinct flavor and texture was fresh ginger--otherwise i'm not sure what it consisted of--and the students didn't know--they don't cook! can you believe!

i've read through the other posts here, and madhur's recipe does sound more like a kebab--the koftas are served as appetizers, with toothpicks.

i'm so new to indian cooking, and at times so overwhelmed--i'd love any recipes.

ialso like to hear the variations on this dish--clearly there's not just ONE type of kofta.

suvir, i appreciate your distinction between "kebab" & "kofta"--you're very succinct & your explanantions are always wonderful.

a kofta, then, is not a MEATball--it's simply a ball of minced something...

one more question about koftas, then--they can be served in a sauce/gravy, but not necessarily?

and what would YOU serve them with?

this may sound gross, but i was wondering if i could make something like polenta with a little cardamom in it. what do you think?

suvir, i appreciate your distinction between "kebab" & "kofta"--you're very succinct & your explanantions are always wonderful.

a kofta, then, is not a MEATball--it's simply a ball of minced something...

one more question about koftas, then--they can be served in a sauce/gravy, but not necessarily?

and what would YOU serve them with?

You are very kind Stellabella. I wish I was all that succinct and wonderful, I am human and imperfect and full of flaws.. But they do form who I am.. and I do well enough according to mom. :shock::rolleyes:

A kofta is a meatball shaped "thingie". See I am not all that succinct. :shock: But traditionally they have been made in restaurants and Moslem homes with meat. In Hindu homes they are made with meats for special occasions (in those homes where meat is eaten. A growing and large number these days) and with different vegetables for the most part. You will be surprised by how many different Koftas you could find in India.

But again, this is only in the Indian context. Koftas and Kebabs could mean something entirely different in the Middle Eastern context.

In India we generally serve Koftas with sauces. But at homes, chefs/moms/grandmas will often give kids a kofta or two as a appetizer. There are some people that now are making small koftas and serving them as passed appetizers... A normal evolution of cuisine. And then there are Shammi Kebabs that are made into small patties and not cooked in a grill and served as passed appetizers. So now you also have an exception to the rule. :shock: But 99% of all kebabs in India are baked/grilled etc... Not deep fried or pan fried.

Koftas are part of a larger meal. Served with lentils, rice, vegetables, meats etc... In Indian homes a dinner table will have several dishes. And one enjoys each of them individually and in some bites with mixes of a certain few. Chutneys, pickles, murabbas (preserves), kachumbars, papad, raitas and kachris are also on tables.

Kachumbar - Salad

Kachri - Crispy fritters made with different flours

Raita - yogurt sauce

Papad - lentil and bean wafers

This may sound gross, but i was wondering if i could make something like polenta with a little cardamom in it.  what do you think?

Why will it be gross? It is always fun to play with and entertain spices and ingredients. New utterance of things old and comfortable can only be found when we make an effort to live and let live. So, you are perfectly fine in wanting to experiment and try...

Polenta with cardamom.. Could be lovely.. Try it and share with us.. Please.... Look forward to hearing how it goes...

If you want a deep very autumnal flavor of cardamom that is fragrant, spicy and warm all at once, try the larger woody black cardamom. It will give a far deeper and richer flavor. Green cardamom is much subtler and delicate and will not add as much punch. That is why we use it with other spices in savory foods and by itself in desserts.

But again, since you have a plan in your mind ... You should let it flow through you into the polenta... And just make one promise to yourself. That you shall not forget to share with us how it came out. :smile::wink: