• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Large Quail

Anybody know where I can get largish Quail - freerange or organic preferred - in London or by mail/internet.

I'd prefer a recommendation other than Borough Market as I feel most things are overpriced there.

Is this an April fool?

I'm sure its not !.

I know where he (she) is coming from!

I love eating Quail and indeed bought some from my local livestock auction (chicks)

However, I am not up to dispatching them, but did enjoy eating the eggs.

We have very fond memories of Quail with a rich cream and grape cassoulet in a Gault Millau recommended restaurant in Cannes some years ago now.

And buy prepared ones when available (especially when in France)

There are larger breed of Quail and I have seen them on TV, nearly sure it was on Great British Menu two years ago.

One of the chef suppliers was featured, (should have made a note)

Hoping this thread develops as I have'n't had Quail in ages and would buy some now.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Ha - that's funny Matthew :biggrin: , I can see why you might think that but I'm serious!

I think Quails are excellent but for some reason in this country they are treated like generic meat. They're sold in packs of four, no weight given and no indication of their welfare standards or if they're wild or farmed.

Like David says some people have access to the larger ones, that are more akin to what you'd get in France or Italy rather than the scrawny pre-packaged ones we generally get here.

Ha - that's funny Matthew  :biggrin: , I can see why you might think that but I'm serious!

I think Quails are excellent but for some reason in this country they are treated like generic meat. They're sold in packs of four, no weight given and no indication of their welfare standards or if they're wild or farmed.

Like David says some people have access to the larger ones, that are more akin to what you'd get in France or Italy rather than the scrawny pre-packaged ones we generally get here.

I think they dispatch them at about six weeks old.

Shame!

The ones on television were about the size of a poussin (which I also like)

Rather plump and noticeably larger.

Hopefully someone will locate them for you (us).

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

David - that sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I'd even settle for slightly larger than the normal supermarket size but Poussin size would be Nirvana!

I'm researching on my own as well so I'll be sure to report back if I find something.

Nobody got anything? This is proving quite a challenge. One would imagine that it would be a bit easier to find a larger version of something as (relatively) popular as quail but they all seem to be about 150g.

The search goes on...

We get ours from a farm in Norfolk. They are a touch smaller than a pigeon but definitely larger than the pre-packed ones which look foetal!

They are free-range but the supply is quite stop/start. The guy only does it as a side project and not on a commercial basis so we take them when offered.

Thanks for the tip - that was one place I looked at but unfortunately they now only have the 4 tiny quails in a 600g pack that just about everyone seems to carry. Is there something about the magic number of 150g that means that is all a quail can grow to? :biggrin:

Somewhere out there are monster quail just waiting to be found...