• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bittman writes about Vancouver . . .

Fat Guy

http://nytimes.com/2002/10/27/travel/27TAB.html

I'm a big fan of Mark Bittman. I love almost everything he writes. But this weekend's food-travel story on Vancouver is one of the least compelling pieces I've ever seen from him.

Particularly glaring is the omission of Ouest, which as many here have testified is at least on par with Lumiere and probably better.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Since the Ouest restaurant is such high profile, I'm guessing it was on Mark Bittman's radar. Maybe he tried the food at the restaurant, & wasn't impressed. Or it was on his itinerary, but ultimately couldn't find the time to drop by, on such a short stay to Vancouver(assuming he only mentioned restaurants that he personally ate at). I find for these type of stories, writers often mention the same damn 5-10 restaurants in whatever city. Of the restaurants that Mark profiled, I recognized every one. The 4 others that he listed as worthy, I recognize all except for one(The Pear Tree). And I never ever been to Vancouver before. What type of food does The Pear Tree serve(it's actually in Burnaby)? Whenever I see stories about the Montreal restaurant scene, I almost always see the same couple of restaurants w/no changes from everybody else. If a writer, feels a certain restaurant(s), is over-rated(or no good), but is somehow compelled to list & write about it, because it's a institution. Then they should be absolutely honest, & say it's over-rated. I don't want anybody to pull any punches. IMO, that's how myths are perpetuated. Maybe some writers are lazy, & don't do the research on their own. What I'm saying here, is not focusing on any one writer. More of an general comment.

-------------

Steve

I wonder for the visits to the Vancouver restaurants, did Mark dine there anonymously, or maybe he gave them advanced notice & identified himself once arriving at these place.

It is nearly universal policy that New York Times food and travel writers go unannounced. There are exceptions, of course, but the strong presumption is that Bittman did his own thing and the restaurants didn't even know they were being written about at the time he visited.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Mr. Feenie, a candid admirer of the better-known North American chefs, does not so much imitate them as allow himself to be inspired by them.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

feature02march11a.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Okay, okay. I'll lay off the Nob Feely jokes.

:rolleyes:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

As long as Bittman was in the neighbourhood he should have given Bin 942 a try. It never seems to get the attention that the big names do but the food is fabulous. You don't get waiters hovering over you like at Ouest but the food is great.

Like Vij it has a very casual atmosphere but is very serious about what ends up on your plate.

It ain't the meat it's the emotion

I very much enjoyed meals (well, more like late-night snack-fests) at both Bin restaurants. I'm not sure they'd rate high enough to make it into a top-level Vancouver dining roundup, though.

I imagine many of Bittman's dining choices were dictated by whatever local contacts, media or otherwise, he placed his faith in. In this case, they did him a disservice by not insisting on a meal at Ouest. It's such a gaping hole in the piece, I can only hope it was just a word-processor malfunction.

Below is a small Washington Post write-up from November 3, 2002, on Vancouver:

"Postcard from Tom. Washington Post food critic Tom Sietsema's monthly report from the road.

Be sure to seek out such local treasures as oysters, Dungeness crab and

'Indian candy' (that would be hot smoked salmon) in Vancouver-foodwise, Canada's

answer to San Francisco. Here are three top spots for dining:

LUMIERE (2251 W. Broadway, 604-739-8185) Using the best ingredients from across Canada, cooking maestro Rob Feenie stages an edible fashion show of small, fetching and fabulous dishes with his multi-course tasting menus (including a vegetarian option). Among my favorite memories: saffron-infused tomato water with spot prawn ravioli and lemon oil, and roasted veal enhanced with a chanterelle ragout and garlic froth. The dining room is spare and chic; the suave servers could all pass for movie stars. Eight-course chef's menu $ 60.

OUEST (2881 Granville St., 604-738-8938) Ask for a table near the open kitchen and the chance to observe chef David Hawksworth, a veteran of some of Britain's top restaurants, prepare your meal. Choose from among roast duck with caramelized crabapples, local mushrooms with herbed gnocchi, or something whimsical, like a savory tart of figs and foie gras. This sure, seasonal, West Coast cooking unfolds in a two-story room made inviting with soft leather walls, cherry wood bar and cool marble floors. Dinner entrees $ 12-$ 25."

There is a third paragraph on Sun Sui Wah, which focuses on dim sum there.