• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What cut of beef to use?

Kim Shook

Chuck is always fine in a braise. I find, however, that when I braise things other than brisket (which you could cut into somewhat smaller and more manageable chunks and trim the fat cap) or short ribs, I always end up wondering why it isn't as good as brisket or short ribs.

I agree: any cut of chuck will do just fine. To me, though, in a braise marbling isn't that important, since the fat is going to melt away, unlike in a steak where the fat will largely remain within the meat to add succulence.

What is important in a braise is that there be sufficient connective tissue, which when properly braised will turn gelatinous and create a succulent product.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

The paleron, or top blade, is cut from the shoulder clod and is what they use at Les Halles for their Beef Bourguignon. Around my area, this cut is called a "chicken steak" for some unknown reason. Any piece of chuck would work in a pinch, though I find the shoulder a bit tastier.

In Bouchon, Keller uses boneless short ribs, but at twice the price of top blade I think it's overkill. But that would certainly be "delectable".

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson