• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adria on the Rose Program

robert brown

Who out there caught Charlie Rose last night? I missed the first part of his interview with Ferran Adria, and I'll want to see the portion I missed before venturing forth here. I think I caught the bulk of it, and based on that, it was another blown opportunity by a host who has no feeling for, or understands, what gastronomy is about and what's happening with it. I hope to add more later after I review the video tape, digital as it may be.

I enjoyed it - I wouldn't characterize Rose's questions as especially deep or insightful, but they didn't bother me either (I won't get started on Lesley Stahl's Alice Waters shitshow again, but suffice it to say I can get annoyed). In fact, I felt that he showed Adria a lot of respect - he seemed to understand the significance of Adria and El Bulli in the food world - I think many interviewers might have just made it sound nuts - and Rose appeared to be kind of awestruck. Adria's responses were interesting and fairly long, and the questions took a back seat for me.

Who out there caught Charlie Rose last night? I missed the first part of his interview with Ferran Adria, and I'll want to see the portion I missed before venturing forth here. I think I caught the bulk of it, and based on that, it was another blown opportunity by a host who has no feeling for, or understands, what gastronomy is about and what's happening with it. I hope to add more later after I review the video tape, digital as it may be.

Your title for the topic made me think that Adria had said something awful or offensive on the show. I gather that that's not what you meant?

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

The interesting thing is how little they talk about the food. Andres' discussion of the liquid olive gets right to the heart of the El Bulli experience. I'd love to have seen this sort of discussion about more dishes.

Also on the site is a longer talk with David Chang, which focuses more on him as a personality but is really interesting.

Could you give an example?

The interesting thing is how little they talk about the food. Andres' discussion of the liquid olive gets right to the heart of the El Bulli experience. I'd love to have seen this sort of discussion about more dishes.

Also on the site is a longer talk with David Chang, which focuses more on him as a personality but is really interesting.

It must be hard to do an interview thru translation like that.

I preferred the Chang interview.

They had a common thread of the interviewee feeling a bit "overwhelmed"...

2317/5000