• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pimenton de la Vera

jbehmoaras

I was interested to know if anyone had any familiarity with different pimenton brands that are D.O certified.

I have tried:

- Gualtaminos (www.gualtaminos.com)

- La Chinata (www.tienda.com/food/smoked_paprika.html)

But I know that these brands exist as well:

- primabor

- el colorin

- clavel de la vera

- nuestra senora del salobral

- el caballo de oros (www.caballodeoros.com)

- la dalia (www.pimenton-ladalia.com)

- limusa orquidea de yusta

- el rey de la vera

- santo domingo

- el pensamiento

Can anyone shed some light on these other brands and perhaps how they taste in relation to any others?

Jeremy Behmoaras

Cornell School for Hotel Administration Class '09

Through further research I learned that the Murcia region also has a certified pimenton designation. It would be interesting to learn about pimenton from that region as well.

Jeremy Behmoaras

Cornell School for Hotel Administration Class '09

Originally I discovered this unique stuff on a tour of Spain. Sorry to admit I am still using the Chinata I brought home. I also have a bottle with part of a label taped on that says "Extremadura Pimenton de la Vera". Hard to compare but that one seems rather harsh. I will have to get back to using them, I tend to forget about things I have. I like to use it in little meatballs in red sauce. Would love to hear how others use it.

I did get a new Chinata at Marshalls, though you can never count on finding any one thing you want at a specific time.....but it's a fun treasure hunt.

Would love to hear how others use it.

Hi,

The flavor of pimenton is lost when used to season a chicken. It is better to use it to flavor a sauce. It does wonders for mayonaise, bearnaise, cream sauces or a pan sauce.

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

I only recently discovered pimenton, and for a while was adding it to everything, it's so delicious. My favorite local emporium carries La Chinata so that's the only brand I've tried. A lovely balance of sweet smokey flavor.

• 3 years later...