• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boneless Veal Neck Roast

Batard

My local supermarket has started introducing some very economical cuts of beef over the past few months, I guess to help people make ends meet during the recession. I found a boneless neck roast at the market, which is a boned out veal neck tied into a roulade. First time I've ever seen veal neck sold like that, naked and unafraid. I bought it immediately, not knowing quite what to do with it, but thinking of Bourdain and Fergus Henderson and knowing there were possibilities.

The roast is about two pounds. My first instinct is to unroll it, stuff it with ??, tie it all back up, and braise it. But since there seems to be an incredible dearth of recipe ideas out there, I was wondering if anyone had any creative or ethnic ideas for this cut? What would the PA Dutch, or the Spanish, French or Italians do?

Thanks for the help. :)

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

You could unroll, line with pancetta, garlic, herbs (parsley, etc), cracked black pepper, re-roll then braise in tomatoes and red wine. Then you get a delicious sauce for pasta or beans and a little for slices of the meat.

nunc est bibendum...

If you read French, here's a recipe for veal neck braised with lots of vegetables, bacon, and white wine. It looks really good to me, but I haven't tried it. Let me know if youre interested but have trouble figuring it out.