• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coconut Macaroons

RuthWells

I started a baking business last month, and have just received an order for 10 dozen coconut macaroons for Passover. Though I have many macaroon recipes in my library, I don't have a tried and true that I know will stand up for retail, and I don't have much (any, really) time to test recipes.

Does anyone have a good, sturdy macaroon recipe they can share? TIA!

Ina Garten's recipe is simple and really tasty.  She's Jewish too!!

I've just been testing coconut macaroon recipes for a cafe I bake for. Cali is right, Ina Garten's recipe is fabulous! When looking around though I noticed almost the same recipe on www.marthastewart.com except that it called for twice as much coconut. When I mixed up Ina's recipe I could see that it was going to spread too much so I added another 50% coconut and these still spread a little but not enough to worry about. I used a blue disher, I think it's 2 oz and I got about 15 cookies. The sweetened condensed milk makes them more expensive for retailing but the difference in texture is worth it.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I've just been testing coconut macaroon recipes for a cafe I bake for. Cali is right, Ina Garten's recipe is fabulous! When looking around though I noticed almost the same recipe on www.marthastewart.com except that it called for twice as much coconut. When I mixed up Ina's recipe I could see that it was going to spread too much so I added another 50% coconut and these still spread a little but not enough to worry about. I used a blue disher, I think it's 2 oz and I got about 15 cookies. The sweetened condensed milk makes them more expensive for retailing but the difference in texture is worth it.

One little question, CB -- with the 2oz disher, what was the (rough) diameter of the cookies?

Late to the party but this is my favorite recipe for coconut macaroons. Something about the stove cooking first that makes them moister than others. Leave the oven preheating until day 2 though.

Late to the party but this is my favorite recipe for coconut macaroons.  Something about the stove cooking first that makes them moister than others.  Leave the oven preheating until day 2 though.

Can you leave out the flour for passover? Or sub cake meal?

The sweetened condensed milk makes them more expensive for retailing but the difference in texture is worth it.

Sweetened condensed milk is expensive in Canada. About 3 bucks or more per can( for Eagle Brand). In the US, Ruth can get the Target or Walmart or other store brand for about 1.30 a can.

Late to the party but this is my favorite recipe for coconut macaroons.  Something about the stove cooking first that makes them moister than others.  Leave the oven preheating until day 2 though.

Yup!

Yup!

Yup to what? Leaving it out or subbing it? I need it without flour so it's gluten-free. What would you recommend subbing it with? I don't know what cake meal is.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

One little question, CB -- with the 2oz disher, what was the (rough) diameter of the cookies?

Without measuring I'd say about 2-1/4". I'll measure after I feed the kids dinner and change this number if I'm wrong.

Yup!

Yup to what? Leaving it out or subbing it? I need it without flour so it's gluten-free. What would you recommend subbing it with? I don't know what cake meal is.

You could simply leave it out - or sub with potato flour or matzo meal.

Without measuring I'd say about 2-1/4". I'll measure after I feed the kids dinner and change this number if I'm wrong.

Ok, it is a 2 oz disher. The baked cookie is about 2-3/4" diameter and 1-1/4" tall.

Ok, couple questions about your recipe Kerry. Just want to confirm that condensed milk is sweetened condensed milk and what type of coconut are you using? Is it sweetened shredded? It just seems like a whole lot of sugar so I want to check before taking the plunge.

Ok, couple questions about your recipe Kerry. Just want to confirm that condensed milk is sweetened condensed milk and what type of coconut are you using? Is it sweetened shredded? It just seems like a whole lot of sugar so I want to check before taking the plunge.

Sweetened condensed, but unsweetened macaroon or medium coconut.

Funny thing - when I make most of her recipes I cut back the sugar considerably - but looking in my mastercook version I don't seem to have for this one. Try it full sugar for the first batch - then see if it will tolerate less.

The sweetened condensed milk makes them more expensive for retailing but the difference in texture is worth it.

Sweetened condensed milk is expensive in Canada. About 3 bucks or more per can( for Eagle Brand). In the US, Ruth can get the Target or Walmart or other store brand for about 1.30 a can.

I spent $2.50 per 14 oz can of Eagle Brand at our market yesterday, and that was a slightly discounted price.

Ok, it is a 2 oz disher. The baked cookie is about 2-3/4" diameter and 1-1/4" tall.

Thanks!

I recently tried chocolate macaroons, and I'm in love. I've never made macaroons, and I have a question for the experts. The ones I buy at the bakery look as if they have been piped. Could I make them with a regular piping bag, or is the batter thick enough that I should use a cookie press?

I spent $2.50 per 14 oz can of Eagle Brand at our market yesterday, and that was a slightly discounted price.

If you chose to make Ina's recipe to sell, I'd go with the generic version of the sweetened condensed milk. Not sure where you live, but wal*mart, target and most grocery stores have a generic version. Its about 1dollar per can cheaper.

If you chose to make Ina's recipe to sell, I'd go with the generic version of the sweetened condensed milk. Not sure where you live, but wal*mart, target and most grocery stores have a generic version. Its about 1dollar per can cheaper.

The generic at my market was actually more expensive than the discounted Eagle Brand. I'll have to check my Target next time I'm there.