• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

tommy

Larb Laab Larp

430 posts in this topic

I love larb but I never realized how easy it is to make. Made it for the first time tonight with pork. Even though I had to sub lemon for lime, and didn't have fresh mint (I used dried), it was still just right. Even my picky husband liked it a lot. I just wish I'd made more, it's all gone. I served it with baby lettuce leaves and brown rice, which worked really well.

How much do I love this thread? Let me count the ways...

Enough to look it up after not posting in months. It's summer in Washington, DC, which means larb season is upon us. My favorite is chicken, but I've been known to larb cold leftover beef, ground pork, and once I even larbed lamb.

What do you larb?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Fourth of July pork larb with shallots, mint, scallions, cilantro, lime juice, fish sauce, jalapeno, cayenne, galangal powder, and roasted rice powder. I didn’t measure, but probably 2:1 lime to fish sauce. Juicy, savory, spicy, tart, herbal, and refreshing – I’m getting closer.

Crunchy Romaine lettuce leaves, but no rice. I was hoping for leftovers, but all disappeared.

p1037663267-4.jpg

Yummy. Bruce when you say you're getting closer, are you saying you're still not satisfied with your larb?

Yummy. Bruce when you say you're getting closer, are you saying you're still not satisfied with your larb?

Thank you, Patrick. I like this larb very much, but next time I may try adding lemongrass, garlic, galangal, sawtooth coriander, or a little fragrant broth.