• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pick-me-up

Saffy

Chocolate. Icecream. Both.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Saffy,

I'm sorry you're not feeling well and wish you a speedy recovery.

When I have that icky stomach feeling but still need to eat I like hot soup. Miso, hot & sour, wonton, egg drop, or anything chicken works pretty well. If you feel like something more solid try a simple baked potato with a little butter. I don't know why, but whenever I have a queezy stomach something salty seems to help. I discovered that in first grade when the school desert would sometimes leave me feeling sick. I would just sprinkle a bit of salt on my hand and lick it off...worked great.

Celine

Actually a hangover cure, but since a sour stomach is often an accompaniment:

Put a teaspoon of butter in a small bowl

Cook two three-minute eggs

While the eggs are cooking, medium- toast a slice of sourdough or good rye bread

Empty the eggs into the bowl, add a shot of light shoyu, several grinds of black pepper and a few drops of Tabasco. Give it a light stir.

Consume by spooning a bit of egg onto the toast and eating the toast. Concentrate on making it come out even (more important then you might think).

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thanks everyone for your get well wishes. I do feel a bit better thanks. One of the down sides to being a mum is that you don't really have time to feel unwell.

Miso for lunch ( as suggested )

and I had - corn and red pepper soup for dinner and some hot buttery toast.. that was pretty much my lot for the day today.. but tomorrow hopefully I will be feeling more like myself.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I will keep them up my sleeve for next time :smile:

I'm sorry to hear that you are unwell. I get tummy problems and sometimes it limits what I can eat. However, I've concocted this easy pick me up that soothes the tummy and spirit...

only 2 ingred...

coco-wheats (like cream of wheat but with cocoa added)

oberweiss (or whatever local brand of choice available to you) chocolate milk.

make the coco-wheats with choco milk. When cereal has cooked (takes like a minute or so) stir in more choco milk.

eat up and feel better! I see that you are feeling better from your most recent posting but this works for all sorts of maladies.

Take care,

ChocoChris