• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancho_Gordo in the News

Chris Amirault

Congrats to Steve Sando's twofer! Member Rancho_Gordo has a segment on this week's Spendid Table on NPR, and his delectable beans are featured in the NY Times Magazine.

Click here for the Amazon link to his book, Heirloom Beans.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 5 months later...

More congratulations to Steve, who has just been named one of Bon Appetit magazine's "Hot 10" culinary figures for 2009:

Bats and wolves aren't the only endangered species in America. A search for disappearing native food ingredients led Rancho Gordo founder Steve Sando to sow his own seeds for heirloom beans and tomatoes.

Full article here.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to that wonderful book, Steve is getting lots of good mentions.

Tonight, he's going to be on "Emeril Green" on the Planet Green/Discovery network. I think it's going to be broadcast twice. The first time, I believe, is at 7pm Central.

"Best of Beans"

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.