• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shin of beef

saltandwoodsmoke

First post, be gentle. ;)

I've just bought myself a couple of pieces of beef shin with the bone/marrow still in. A sort of old age osso bucco.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cook it.

I'm thinking of braising it but should I use red wine? tomatoes? white wine? beer?

Any advice gratefully received.

Beef shin or shank is like poor mans osso bucco. You can treat it like you would osso bucco and braise it. Unlike osso bucco, the full grown beef shin has some serious connective tissue on the outside that needs to be cut through prior to cooking. If you don't, this tissue will shrink as it cooks and it will push the meat right off of the bone. Once you cut through this tissue you will want to tie the shin with string to keep it together as it cooks.

Beef shin or shank is like poor mans osso bucco.  You can treat it like you would osso bucco and braise it.  Unlike osso bucco, the full grown beef shin has some serious connective tissue on the outside that needs to be cut through prior to cooking.  If you don't, this tissue will shrink as it cooks and it will push the meat right off of the bone. Once you cut through this tissue you will want to tie the shin with string to keep it together as it cooks.

TVM. My pieces are cut pretty thin though. Maybe only 1-2cms. and too wide to tie. I think I'll try osso bucco anyway.

Thanks again, Dan

I like beef shanks braised it in dark soya sauce, mirin, star anise, onion, garlic and ginger. Adjust seasonning and sweetness of sauce(more sugar or more mirin) Serve with hofun noodles or steamed rice.