• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yam'Tcha

fresh_a

I've already written about this on my blog, but since I can feel the impending buzz surrounding this new mini gastro, thought it merited a mention here.

I went the day after they opened for dinner. It's a small space located a couple streets away from the rue de Rivoli, clean, modern, with exposed brick and an open kitchen where Adeline, who worked with Alléno at the Scribe and Pascal Barbot at Astrance before going to Hong Kong and learning how to make dim sum and vapor cooking. She came back with her husband (who is Chinese/French) and does a market based menu (that is supposed to change daily, but has, for the moment been pretty much the same since opening).

There is a lunch menu at 30€, and a 45€ evening (three course) and 65€ tasting menu (5 dishes).

We ate soy salad with smoked tofu and coriander, mozambique shrimp with Korean mushrooms and a garlic sauce, asparagus with pan fried foie gras and mustard leaves, "cheval de mer" (?) fish with pok choy, an excellent fillet of beef, and olive oil biscuit with milk ice cream. There are some good wines that are not too expensive, with a nice Crozes Hermitage at a reasonable 30€, as well as a selection of teas brewed by Adeline's husband in several services. The restaurant was about half full when we went, but there were resounding murmurs and oohs and ahhs from pretty much all of the diners.

The cuisine is very subtle, and I predict a three star Figaroscope rating, and all the others to jump on the bandwagon , and this to be the hot new table in town.

Yam'Tcha means "drink tea" in Mandarin Chinese apparenty, and they do offer tea throughout the meal, but I stuck pretty much with wine

Anyone else been?

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

You're welcome! Actually, François Simon turned me onto this first, having been the evening before (yes, the chef knew, and she was really nervous!). So I had to go..I predict that in two or three weeks it will be impossible to get a table.

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

The cuisine is very subtle, and I predict a three star Figaroscope rating, and all the others to jump on the bandwagon , and this to be the hot new table in town.

FreshA was of course right :smile: Three hearts today.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

ah shucks....

blog