• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty? Fluffy?

Abra

Holy smokes, homemade pork floss! Now there's a concept. It's always seemed like something one really couldn't make at home. I have to try it, even if not for this particular event. I'm nervous about introducing Asian flavors into this wine tasting, as all the Asian food I've had here is very "frenchified" for my taste, and I don't think I could bring myself to do that to a good Asian recipe.

Ok, now that you've gotten a lot of great ideas, I hope you don't mind when I veer slightly off topic to tell you that when I saw your OP come up, I wondered how you knew your kittens were salty. :biggrin:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I have a nice recipe for a vegetable dip that is rather fluffy...it contains the usual mayo/sour cream, lots of fresh chopped herbs, a taste of garlic, salt, paprika, etc. The last step is to fold in a bunch of (unsweetened) whipped cream. It's a tasty dip that looks lovely served in a hollowed out purple cabbage or red pepper, with crudites to accompany. Let me know if you'd like the recipe.

It's not quite fluffy but the custard texture can be whipped to make it very light.

The Japanese make a savoury custard called Chawanmushi which contains an egg mixture, dashi stock, soy sauce, mirin and several other savory ingredients.

Custardy/salty/fishy and can be eaten hot or cool. May be worth a try.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I love chawanmushi. But yesterday I saw the instructor of my wine class who confirms that something based on duck confit would be exactly right. Now to figure out how to make that least fluffy of foods fluff up. I'm tempted to try a duck confit macaroon, but I'd need a way for the fluff not to turn into sog.

edited to add: of course I lick my kittens, doesn't everyone?

Edited by Abra (log)

Now to figure out how to make that least fluffy of foods fluff up. 

Julia's method from Mastering the Art (mousseline de volaille, mousse de jambon) tells you to puree stock, gelatin, and meat in a blender. When it's almost set, you fold in softly whipped cream, & chill. Sounds like fluffy and salty to me.

Julia adds in yummies like shallots and cognac. If you don't have the book handy and you would like copies of the recipes, PM me and I can make a PDF available for you.

Julia's method from Mastering the Art (mousseline de volaille, mousse de jambon) tells you to puree stock, gelatin, and meat in a blender. When it's almost set, you fold in softly whipped cream, & chill. Sounds like fluffy and salty to me.

Julia adds in yummies like shallots and cognac. If you don't have the book handy and you would like copies of the recipes, PM me and I can make a PDF available for you.

mmm. mousseline...

Alternatively, since you won't have access to an oven, if you want something hot, what about some type of savory dumpling, poached then served in a broth.

Then there are vegetable alternatives. A really good baba ganouj (sp?) is very light and fluffy, tasting more of creamy eggplant than tahini.

There's an addictive Turkish meze in Ana Sortun's cookbook Spice, Whipped Feta with Sweet and Hot Peppers. The name says it all. It's meant as an appetizer, not an entree, but oh my, it is good. And salty and fluffy.