• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty? Fluffy?

Abra

I have an assignment to make a tasting dish for a wine class, something that is salty and "mousseux" which means, fluffy, as in mousse-textured. Someone else is already making a fish terrine, so I'm trying to think of something different. It needs to be easy to serve, and has to be good at room temperature. For once, I'm not having a lot of ideas. I guess it's because fluffy food isn't normally my style.

Who can help?

How about a Frittata?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

what about some fried matzah, although its simple, its definitely fluffy (when made properly, not a big fried lump like some people do) and salty.

good luck

the char siu baau sounds like a good choice too, and delicious.

Professional Scientist (in training)

Amateur Cook

I suggest you check out tapas recipes. The Spanish like their salt (and oil!). Some recipes from Janet Mendel--

Empanadillas:

http://books.google.com/books?id=o7CucUkap...dillas#PPA17,M1

Shrimp Fritters:

http://books.google.com/books?id=tp2RbFIuB...num=1&ct=result

Cheese & Potato Croquettes:

http://books.google.com/books?id=o7CucUkap...dillas#PPA22,M1

Also, are we talking only protein here? You could also make herbed focaccia with liberal salt on the the top.

It took awhile for this one to percolate up to the database. It's salty, it's fluffy if you whip the potatoes properly, it's quite delicious. You can serve this like a spread or dip on toasted bread or olive oil crackers. I like it warm, but at room temp it's still flavorful.

Salt Cod & Potato Cazuela from Cesar (page 156):

http://books.google.com/books?id=Zdz6isJAw...+said#PPA156,M1

Thanks so much for the suggestions, and I hope there will be lots more. I've already made a brandade de morue for that class, so that one's out this time. And that cazuela thing looks delicious, but is very much like a brandade. It's funny how when we think of salty, fishy comes immediately to mind.

I never would have thought of char siu bao, which I adore, but I don't think I'll be able to make them here. I did think of a fougasse, but at least the one I make doesn't really qualify as mousseux.

And no, it doesn't have to be a protein.

Not too many fluffy savory dishes in my repertoire either. The need for easy, room temp service is a limitation, too. Is this some kind of cooking dare??

Mousse is...mousse. I was checking Julia's Mastering the Art last night, and there's a recipe for Ham Mousse. I envisioned fluffy spam. Maybe that recipe could morph into Duck Leg Mousse. And of course there's tried and true chicken liver mousse.

Find some moose meat and make Moose Mousse? :raz:

You Know, a duck confit mousse might fill the bill, since confit is so pronouncedly salty. I'd describe it as more of a challenge than a dare, so I really want to come up with something good.

I you can find moose meat in France, you deserve some sort of prize!

Didn't someone around here make a salmon and/or soy marshmallow recently? gfron1 maybe. That would be really good. Salty and kind of the definition of fluffy food.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Savory souffles? If time is an element, you can make Anne Willan's twice-baked souffles. I've made them before, and they puff up remarkably well during the second baking.

There won't be an oven, so those nice-sounding soufflé ideas are out. Does anyone know how to make a savory macaron that isn't actually sweet? It's kind of a fad here to make tapenade macarons, but boy are they sugary.

I have to confess that in all my many years on eG that salmon marshmallow is the single most disgusting thing I've heard of. Maybe alone it would be ok, maybe, although I'm not committing to it, but didn't he want to put it in hot chocolate? That is truly horrifying.

Now a duck confit marshmallow.....

Both of those look really nice, Jack! With the macarons, since you use icing sugar, I'm guessing that it's the cornstarch component that creates the structure, as opposed to the sugar itself? I might try those with a duck confit mousse.

Have you ever done those shrimp chips in the micro? They look wonderful, but I don't have a fryer per se.

Not sure there is much cornstarch involved - its the egg white that is the main texture component.

I usually do shrimp chips is a frying pan with a litle bit of oil.

You can do them in a micro, but they dont puff as well, overheat and scorch in the middle while staying hard and unpuffed on the edge

What about gougeres, with lots and lots of cheese in them? I realize they can be more crisp than fluffy, but all that puff must count for something.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Maybe a bit pedestrian, but what about hummus (I've no idea how actually to spell that, I must have seen about 10 different spellings over the years).

The lebanese know how to turn a suburban middle class pre dinner dip into something more special. I've got a recipe for broad bean hummus somewhere too, but unless you are somewhere hotter than me it's a bit early for them.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

What's bombaloni? It's a cool word.

I've thought about gougères split and filled with some sort of fluff, but not brandade because I made that last time. I love hummous, but I don't think I can make it be fluffy. Creamy, yes, and smooth, but it's sort of innately heavy, unless you have a recipe I've never found.