• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olvida nickle plated cast iron cookware

Aahzimandious

I love cooking with cast iron but hate the lodge cookware!!!

I have a couple old wagner skillets that I love due to there relatively light weight and smooth cooking surface whereas the lodge pans are heavy and very rough. I have sanded down some lodge pans but they never come out as nice as a wagner or a griswold. I want a 13" + size skillet with a smooth cooking surface IE none lodge but the prices on the old stuff is prohibitive due to collectors. Last one I saw was around $220 for a 13 inch wagner with lid.

Is Olvida worth the money?

Is the cooking surface smooth or is it just a lodge pan covered in nickle?

Anyone know of a company that makes better cast iron pans then lodge that doesn't coat it in something like Lecreuset or Olvida?

Thanx in advance to all who bother to respond!

Do you have to have a 13 inch skillet?

Target online has a 12 inch enameled cast iron skillet that is an excellent value at 29.99.

I bought one to use on my barbecue and have not had a single complaint. I know they have some pieces in stores but not this particular size.

I bought it last fall when they had one of their free shipping promotions for total order over 50.00 and it wasn't difficult for me to find a couple of other little things to add on.

Target skillet.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I am currently using a 13" lodge cast iron skillet owned by my roomie on which I sanded down the cooking surface. The problem being that the cooking surface is not only rough but uneven so most of the oil/fluids run off to the outer edge of the pan. It would take more work then I really want to invest to get the thing properly set up. I am looking into either nickel or raw cast iron not enamel...

Hoping to find a source of a decent cast iron pan with a flat cooking surface in the size of 13+ inches for doing pancakes/hashbrowns/fried chicken anything I need a large cooking surface for.

Personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on plated cast iron. And, I wouldn't want to ingest too much of the stuff anyway. Nickel is one of those things that is essential in minute quantities but can be very bad in larger quantities. Too much nickel can lead to increased rick of lung cancer, nose cancer, larynx cancer and prostate cancer, allergic reactions, dermatitis and other nasty things. I'm not sure these things would happen from occasional use of a nickel cooking surface, but I'll say this: I won't be buying one.

--

I love cooking with cast iron but hate the lodge cookware!!!

I have a couple old wagner skillets that I love due to there relatively light weight and smooth cooking surface whereas the lodge pans are heavy and very rough. I have sanded down some lodge pans but they never come out as nice as a wagner or a griswold. I want a 13" + size skillet with a smooth cooking surface IE none lodge but the prices on the old stuff is prohibitive due to collectors. Last one I saw was around $220 for a 13 inch wagner with lid.

Is Olvida worth the money?

Is the cooking surface smooth or is it just a lodge pan covered in nickle?

Anyone know of a company that makes better cast iron pans then lodge that doesn't coat it in something like Lecreuset or Olvida?

Thanx in advance to all who bother to respond!

There are some great prices and some great deals for cast iron pans and skilets at The Outdoor Cooking Equipment Store. I've bought 5 pans through the store; the quality of the cast iron is great. It needs seasoning but hey thats no big deal. You can get a 12" skillet for $12.95 and a 14" for $15.99; I get a jumbo skillet for 49.99; its been brilliant when cooking for family groups. The other great deal i got there was a 16 quart dutch over for $59.99 which has been equally great when cooking for more than the family. Hope that helps. :rolleyes:

About The Author: Stephen Kember is an outdoor cooking enthusiast. He is the Proprietor of The Outdoor Cooking Equipment Store; you'll find his website at: The Outdoor Cooking Equipment Store. There you will find a comprehensive range of great value outdoor cooking equipment including: grills, stoves, stockpots, steamers, cookers, propane burners, deep fryers, Jambalaya kits, turkey fryers, fish cookers & grill accessories.

• 5 months later...

I recently saw a review on Cooks Illustrated about the Olvida nickel-plated cast iron cookware.

Does anyone know anything about it? It's pretty pricey, and yet I'm intrigued enough by the purported ease of cleaning (dishwashable, can use steel wool(!), won't rust, etc...) to consider buying one.

I just want to try and cut through any of the marketing BS and see what the real story is, so if anyone has some of this cookware, or knows anything about it, I'm very interested.

Thanks,

Mark