• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arm Roast

ftmsb

We recently split a cow amongst some friends. One of the cuts of beef my wife and I went home with is the "arm roast." I had never heard of the arm roast before, and in searching around found several references. Interestingly, they were all in the context of CSAs (community supported agriculture) in which other folks, similar to us, purchased a whole animal. My question is this: Anyone familiar with this cut or is it something that comes up only if you happen to butcher a whole cow? Why don't we see arm roasts for sale in the grocery store? Have I just overlooked the arm roast all these years?

My local market periodically has what they call an "arm roast." I've never been able to tell much diff between it and a chuck roast, and use them the same way, either cut up for stew or in a pot roast.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

It's not an unusual cut or anything, but most people prefer the shoulder roast, which is cut from just behind the arm roast, because it is boneless. The arm is part of the shoulder primal, so a lot of it gets sold. I think the reason you rarely see it packaged as a whole arm roast is because it is cut down and sold as beef stew or hamburger. Which is sad because it makes an awesome braise.

gallery_51814_6492_1416.jpg

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson