• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creme De La Crepes - fair lawn

jtphjl

Parisian Crepes in Fair Lawn are the real deal!

After work three of us headed to Fair Lawn in search of French Onion Soup (word of mouth was it should not be missed) and Crab Cake Crepes! What we experienced was french comfort food.

One order of the crab crepe, one ratatouille, and one special risotta and wild mushrooms -- we skipped the soup idea after seeing the size of the plates coming from the kitchen and after reviewing the dessert (full page) menu!

The crab cakes served in an open crepe blanket were tender, lump plump sweet and pan browned on the outside - served along side a mixed green salad.

The ratatouille niçoise was a snappy melody of onion, garlic, tomato, zucchini and eggplant spilling out of its afkan crepe (also served with a salad or potato option: french fires, mashed, or rice). The spcial was full of mushrooms, however the rice a little too gummy for my tastee. (entrees average $17.00 all include a side starch or salad).

Aside from the onion soup the soup of the night was borsch --

The real tease on the menu is the breakfast specials (blintz of every variety) AND ohhhhhhh my goodness the dessert menu! (Average $7.00)

Start with an ice-cream or a fruit favorite and build from there! The caramel hot apple with cinnamon and raisins I devoured -- and wouldn't you on a damp windy night? The others had a caramel and ice cream with apple and I believwe blueberries and sour cherries, and another had a sorbet (mango) and sugar crepe --

Not since the Christmas street markets in Paris (last November) have I experienced such delicious fun in a crêperie as I did at:

Creme De La Crepes -

12-56 River Rd

Fair Lawn, NJ 07410

(201) 791-0005‎

PS: It's a bring your own!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 1 month later...
Is there a website?

Menu?

Do they have savory crepes (egg/ham/cheese)?

I've been driving up to Greenwich's Meli-Melo for my crepe fix ... a NJ location would be much more convenient!

I see you're in Verona; have you checked out Bonjour Montclair, on Park Street in Watchung Plaza? I love their crepes. They have plenty of savory as well as sweet.

This place in Fair Lawn sounds like more of a real restaurant. I look forward to checking it out.

When I was last there I asked about a web site- one was in the planning- nothing yet.

jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler