• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curry Cheese Steak

Suvir Saran

OH MY GOD!!!

I've away from this forum for a while (busiest time of the year at work) so I just read this whole thread today and was anticipating Suvir's breaking down and coughing up the recipe for the "Curry Steak" instead I get Suvir's recipe for "Curry 'Steak' ". Here I am reading down the thread to get to the savory/spicy MEAT and instead get a dessert recipe!!!

Don't get me wrong Suvir, I am very surprised/shocked not disappointed. I just had to voice what was going throough my head. Even as I was reading through the ingredient list I was like "WHERE's THE BEEF" :shock::shock:

Thanks for a very interesting and exciting thread.

Congrats for the book Suvir, I'll be looking for it next fall. Could we hope for an autographed copy?? :smile:

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Cheese! Cream sauce! Oy vay! This thread has been such a tease. I waited and waited and finally get the recipe -- and it's treif! Damn! :sad:

But it tastes good in my imagination.  :wink:

Why is it treif? Its only cheese and cream and beautiful flavor embellishments. Its not treif, its dairy.

I am sorry!

I would never serve a dessert in my home or when I cater or even share a recipe in my cookbook called a Curry Steak that is meatless. I hope to be more inspired a chef for a little longer.... I am always happy to let go of baggage from my past and learn anew, but this I hope to never make a part of my learning.... Or at least till I and at least a billion or more understand curry as savory and steak as meat. I do hope I can keep getting inspiration to try new things in my kitchen and to enjoy those made by others... I am a sucker for new ideas and the meeting of cultures, peoples, and ideas... There is great beauty to me in seeing things distant in origin embracing their difference and making together what would be accepted by most as magic. So, please forgive me for not giving you a recipe for a meat recipe... This was a thread I hoped would get me closer to seeing how different I am from others. But from the responses above and those in my email and PM boxes, I realize how similarly we all react to some of this stuff... It makes me happy to know how through our differences in upbringing and cultures, we still think and react similarly to what is the most basic in our lives.

I realize how freely chefs and people in general are taking from each others culture what they want to... with limited understanding if at all any, and incorporating stuff they borrow into their own world. I enjoy this trading... I smile and laugh and revel in its successes... I smile the same way when it fails... and I smile even when it makes nothing more than a mockery of life and history.... What else can one do....Taking some of the frivolous ways in which we grow seriously will only bring pain to those that take time to understand life and its fads... But not even those most involved with some of these fads have given much thought or sensitivity to what they play with... It is only a game of instant gratification and a greed for quick fame and success. There is nothing wrong with any of these... Life would be poor if one did not witness each of these emotions....They are all necessary....They all have their place in life's larger longing for moving on and living.... And so, my denying what I do not understand because of my own inabilities would be foolish and sad....I respect every curried dessert made... and even if it does nothing for my palate, I realize there are certainly many more that are in awe of the magic it brings into their realm.

I felt no gumption after realizing how much fame and respect and success is attributed to some of these wild cards, that I decided to do the same. Even if only on the internet but not in reality.... This thread has been my 15 minutes of fame..... But actually, I am not as free in person as my mind is... So the thread here is the extent of my playing with curry and dessert. I have too acute and cultural an understanding of curry to use that term with desserts.

But of course I use spices that go into curries quite freely with desserts both Indian and non-Indian. I challenge my brain though to find names that do not abuse the cultural riches I borrow. I add to them, do not change them, I adapt my cuisine to them...I adapt myself to them and I give them some of my life... But I never try and make them what they are not. I guess I am a failure in the world of some famous and well-respected chefs in the West, but I am happy being that. For I live each day challenging what I have been made to believe... and never accept what my culture, family, schooling and background have given me without understanding it through many perspectives. So, even though I am traditional in some ways, I am far from accepting of what I have been made to believe. I do form my own opinion.

I did not mean to disappoint any of you. I did not mean to tease you, but I tried to share with you through an example more familiar to many on this site, how one from my background would react to dishes that add curry to their name.

Just as you all were looking for "Beef" or at least "Meat", you found none and so were shocked at the least and disappointed in some cases, I find it very disappointing to eat dishes even remotely labeled as "Curry" and then not see them be savory sauces that cradle vegetables, meats, fish or cheese.... I do not find them insulting.. But find them disappointing....

But as I learned recently... through the "Curry Sutra", I have to let go of my baggage and then I can understand all of this... I shall try...and hope each of you can do the same... Maybe then, I can one day enjoy a coco-choco-curry (not a savory mole or even Indian curry, but a dessert) and you a curry steak (meatless).

We all have ways to go to become as enlightened as some. I hope I can get there before life walks me by. :smile:

Cheese! Cream sauce! Oy vay! This thread has been such a tease. I waited and waited and finally get the recipe -- and it's treif! Damn! :sad:

But it tastes good in my imagination.  :wink:

Why is it treif? Its only cheese and cream and beautiful flavor embellishments. Its not treif, its dairy.

Yes, you're right. The word "steak" threw me off, I was sure it was in the recipe along with the rest, but it isn't. So much for careful reading and seeing what we expect to see. :hmmm: My apologies, and thanks for pointing it out. Because I might actually give this a try if I'm feeling particularly ambitious. (Suvir -- is it on the menu for the dinner at Diwan by any chance?)

But it tastes good in my imagination.  :wink:

Yes, you're right. The word "steak" threw me off, I was sure it was in the recipe along with the rest, but it isn't. So much for careful reading and seeing what we expect to see. :hmmm: My apologies, and thanks for pointing it out. Because I might actually give this a try if I'm feeling particularly ambitious. (Suvir -- is it on the menu for the dinner at Diwan by any chance?)

It is on the menu and called Ras Malai.

When an Indian restaurant and chef are bold, they will call it Curry Steak and then, Indian restaurants can begin getting 4 stars.... :shock:

Don't go away mad, folks.

Caramelize onions. In clarified butter toast cumin and mustard seeds, add curry powder. Combine with onions. Add crushed chiles (or ancho paste). Add coconut milk to moisten. Add fresh lime juice and zest, concasee (peeled, seeded, diced tomatoes). Season with salt and black pepper. Add fresh coriander at the last minute.

Sear a strip loin black and blue. Slice thinly. Serve steak atop the sauce with either naan, frites, or gram frites (gram dough sliced into frite shapes, deep-fried).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM