• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curry Cheese Steak

Suvir Saran

How did you prepare the curry steak?

Would this be a good thing to serve tomato chutney alongside??

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hi!

Sorry I keep misspelling your name, I just noticed there's only one "r".

-HP

No big deal. My name is spelled Suvir.

It is hindi for a brave warrior. Some have also interpreted it as beautiful brave warrior. My mother laughs at the name. My brother, who has always been the most macho man most people know, a big sportsman and a bundle of oozing masculinity is named Samir, which means gentle breeze. My parents think the names should have been reversed.

Suvir is pronounced Sue Veer.

How did you prepare the curry steak?

Would this be a good thing to serve tomato chutney alongside??

It is a bit more complicated to prepare than your usual steak.

And if I were as free of baggage as the great chefs many revere and mention on this site, I would be bold enough to serve my Curry Steak with the tomato chutney. In fact I could serve it with anything and be revered nonetheless.

Why do you ask about Tomato Chutney? What kind do you make? What do you use it with?

And what kind of wine went with it?  I always have trouble pairing wine with Indian food, and usually end up serving beer by default.

-priestess

I served it with Tokay Rutherglen Calliope NV

I love the spicy, caramel laden berry flaovors of this wine. It is a perfect companion to my Curry Steak.

Just ate some for breakfast... Quite yummy! For a minute I thought I had become Jinmyo... I have come to understand that Jinmyo savors left over steak....NowI know why... Curried Steak is perfect first thing in the morning as well..... I found a winner in this recipe.... :smile:

Im guessing

steak

coconut milk

curry paste

cilantro

basil

heath bars

Well I wish I had found a reliable source for Heath Bars.. I would have used them for the steak.

Adding savory to very sweet and a lot of sweet to savory is now quite the hot and trendy and uplifting thing to do. But Alas, no heath bar supplier and so no freedom for my creativity and no fame for me. :sad:

None of the items you guessed were part of my recipe. Want to try again? :wink:

Wow, I can't wait to read it. I'm sure it's going to be GREAT!

Any chance of getting a preview on the curry steak recipe?  : )

Thanks for your kind words. :smile:

Well I would love to share the recipe.. Will try and write it soon. In the meantime.. care to share what you would do if you were making a Curried Steak? :rolleyes:

Suvir must die........ unless he provides us with the recipe, in which case I'll share the recipe that I treasure for steak with lime juice and mustard powder......It is, however, readily available in a grilling book on your shelves now.

Wow, I can't wait to read it. I'm sure it's going to be GREAT!

Any chance of getting a preview on the curry steak recipe?   : )

Thanks for your kind words. :smile:

Well I would love to share the recipe.. Will try and write it soon. In the meantime.. care to share what you would do if you were making a Curried Steak? :rolleyes:

Hmmm...well, here's my guess. I'd make a nice curry sauce, yogurt based, not too spicy but not mild either...I'd serve the steak perfectly broiled, with the sauce over top of it. This is my best effort, not being a curry expert. How'd I do? Please post the recipe! :laugh:

Rory Bernstein Kerber

www.RoryKerber.com

I must confess what I did was very different from what any of you are saying you would do.

I am not as creative and free as many of you are.. and as many of the great chefs around the world...

My horizons limited by my background and my confined understanding of food, my mortal limitations and frailities, led me into making something quite different.

I found inspiration in using curry and steak together from reading the successful and brilliant pairing of curry and chocolate and curry and all things sweet...

So I used that new found freedom to make a curried steak...

My steak was nothing like any mentioned above... And now I worry I may have failed you all even as I personally, for a moment, found in my own life, that marvelous brilliance that some non-Indian chefs have been ascribed after using curry...

My recipe would do you no good.. and would be of no help... It is nothing phenomenol, nothing out of the ordinary. It is as old as Indian culture...

I only borrowed the steak.. reverse fusion... :sad:

But I like all your ideas.. But I also love good ole steak with no curry or much fuss. In fact that is what I enjoy most when I eat steak, the fusion stuff done with steak is great... interesting and fun to see, but again, my limited horizons crave what is plain and simple when it comes to steak.

My recipe is different.. very different.. and very simple :shock:

See how smart I am?

For if I gave the recipe, you all would sing my praises for a week, maybe even 3 months..and then never think of me again.

Not sure my steak has legs... It certainly has great oomph... It is like coco-choco-curry...How often would you eat either?

If you would eat it daily, then it is a different story... I may have to trademark the name of my steak and also the recipe... :wink:

ALL RIGHT!  I'll BUY the BOOK! I'll be the FIRST one one line to buy the book!  You could not have chosen a better way to make sure!    :laugh:

Sorry.... :sad:

No recipe in my cookbook for the steak.... :unsure:

My editor may never sign a second cook book contract with me if she saw that recipe. She if brilliant, very smart and very wordly, but certainly not as free as some on this site... And like me, still opening her horizons....

Maybe my book on recipes that are concepts and momentary inventions would include this recipe... You may be waiting many years....

I think you could tempt me with some recipes of yours for an eGullet online trade. Nothing like debating on these boards.. Exciting.. and very informative.