• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chelsea dinner recommendations?

Mottmott

My son and DIL are going to NYC Thursday and need a nice restaurant for dinner, preferably in or near Chelsea where they are staying. Food is more important than atmosphere; preferably not Asian; preferably not (much) more than 200/couple.

Their fallback is Prune so it doesn't absolutely have to be Chelsea if there's better food to be had with a little travel.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

trestle on tenth is solid if your son and his fiance are adventurous diners, especially if they're open to prune. fried duck neck and short ribs on polenta are musts. great beer selection, approachable wine list. they also started serving breakfast though i've yet to try. very fair prices. cookshop down the street is still good as well. west village is a quick cab ride away but i feel like that list of recos could go on endlessly.

I can only say that Allegretti was superb when we were there three weeks ago. A '"grown up" room, but with really good food and service. Cookshop, Red Cat and Trestle on Tenth are all good, for sure, but less sophisticated establishments.