• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Small Used Sherry Cask

slkinsey

For an aging project.  Any ideas how to go about getting one?  Sources?

This may be completely off-base, but something makes me think the size of Sherry casks (at least the authentic Spanish version) is relatively invariable; you may have trouble finding anything "small"

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I wonder if you could contact a domestic brewer who is making cask conditioned ales. Cambridge Brewing Co. in Mass. had this...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14/47596

Another idea, find a small new oak barrel and first make your own sherry using a home wine making kit. Of course that may not be worth the time and expense or if it would even yield acceptable results.

A Gary Regan article from 2001 about the high demand for sherry casks.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m319..._35/ai_75918642

"Wives and such are constantly filling up any refrigerator they have a

claim on, even its ice compartment, with irrelevant rubbish like

food."" - Kingsley Amis

I've thought about doing this on a small scale, and there are a couple of those small oak casks sold as tourist bait currently sitting on the shelf at home. They turn up in second-hand stores from time to time, or you may know someone who could bring one back from a vacation. They hold water just fine for long periods, and don't appear to have been treated with any kind of sealant. My next step was to buy a bottle of sherry or two and start seasoning the casks...