• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The wonderful world of late-night TV cookware ads

Fat Guy

Say what you want about Ron Popiel but he's one fasinating guy:

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventors/popeil.htm

You could even say that his combined influence on both food and television may be second only to that of another fasinating person, Ms Julia Child.

Please note that I went to great pains to avoid mentioning both names in the same paragraph.

SB (loves Julia)

When I went to Copia last fall, one of the exhibits was a history of Popiel products. And their fancy dining room is named for Julia.

So you don't have to feel guilty. If they can do it, so can you. :smile:

is it the entertainment value?

Now that wasn't so hard to figure out, was it? :laugh:

:hmmm: Well, no, it wasn't. What I should have asked is whether it was ONLY the entertainment value, which apparently it isn't, since several of you have bought these products.

What happens if you get one of these and are dissatisfied -- are they guaranteed? Is it easy to return them?

You're now chatting with a LIVE TECHNOSCOUT who is an expert on today's featured products.

You are now chatting with 'Julia', who is eager to answer your questions and help you navigate the site.

Julia: I'm a live rep here to answer questions and offer promotions!! What product did you wish to chat about today?

Steven: Hello.

Steven: I'm interested in the Fruit Saver.

Julia: That has been an extremely popular product!! We have sold those to many customers with great success!!

Julia: It comes with our 30 day money back guarantee and is refundable if you are dissatisfied for any reason.

Julia: Would you like to place an order for that today?

Steven: It looks like a really good product but I don't understand how it works.

Julia: Uses a thermoelectric micro chip to cool the air and 2 fans (one to circulate the cooled air and one to circulate the ambient air and to exhaust the hot air)

Steven: I buy a lot of fruit and it goes to waste because my family doesn't get to it before it goes bad.

Steven: Does it work for other things, like meat and fish?

Julia: No just fruit and veggies

Steven: How big is it? It looks big.

Julia: 10 ½ h x 14 l x 10 ½w

Julia: holds 4.5 quarts

Steven: Can it go in the dishwasher?

Julia: The bowl can

Steven: Do you have one? Do you like it?

Julia: No not yet

Julia: But I am planning on getting one

Steven: Okay, I'm going to talk to my wife about it. If I place an order should I ask for you?

Julia: To get the discount you must order with ME directly.

Julia: If you have any questions or decide to place an order and would like to find out about any current specials, please call me at 1-800-711-8093, select '1' for sales and ask for Julia at ext.8323. Or email me: bowenj@technobrands.com

Steven: Thank you!

The chat session has ended. Please chat with us again or call 1-800-711-8093 if we can be of further assistance.

That's pretty funny. ("That has been an extremely popular product!! We have sold those to many customers with great success!!")

But you aren't actually ordering one, are you?

Actually, to be serious for a moment, I can't blame anyone for good salesmanship, even if the lines seem pre-scripted.

Did you also spot the "FlavorWave Oven"?

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I saw the magic spatual/whisk/tongs last night for the first time. It was the "but-wait-if-you-order-now" "free" add-on to some kind of lame rotary grater. Have to say I was intrigued, but I'm sure it's actually a piece of useless crap.

We'll know in just 2-4 short weeks. I've gotten to the point that if something interests me and it's less than $30 I just buy it. I figure it is my reward for not being a smoker or excessive drinker (and I have a 5 and 6 year old so the disposable income that I'd ordinarily spend on my stomach isn't being spent that way)

The stacker thing is sort of amusing. Bet Portale wishes he thought of that marketing :hmmm:

I've forgotten the name of my only infomercial purchase - it was the cover for your ironing board and iron that let you crank the iron up to high all the time without ever scorching anything and ironed two sides of the fabric at once. It didn't really work. sigh...

But about that Rotissierie thing...I'm tempted.

LOL!  I just saw a new item being advertised.  STACKS: the art of vertical Food.  :laugh:  :shock:  :laugh:

Found at: www.stackitup.com

This isn't new -- it's been out for a couple of years and, in fact, has long passed its height of popularity.

• 4 weeks later...

After only two years of marriage I have come to accept that eventually, almost all of these things will end up in my kitchen, thanks to my wife. However, I have to admit, the Ronco Rottiserie is quite good. Not only for poultry, but I made some great steaks in it too. So we love to "set it and forget it." We tried the "set it and go fuck yourself" but it really wasn't for us.

One night when I couldn't sleep I saw an infomercial for the Kitchen Aid mixer, that we love. It was so obnoxious I wanted to return it.

Everytime my wife's haircuts get more expensive, I try to find a cheaper place for mine. She just found an outrageously expensive new guy. I had been going to Supercuts, but now I'm going to have to get the "hair vacuum".

On the bright side, since reading Kitchen Confidential, my wife does not buy every knife she sees. That make our house a lot safer.

• 1 month later...

i'm man enough to admit that my mother-in-law recently purchashed the "Whisk Grip & Flip EXPRESS". since there were 2 in the box, i'm happy to report that i'm now the proud owner of the Whisk Grip & Flip EXPRESS.

just as you all probably assume already, i've thrown out all of my kitchen clutter (tongs, whisks, spatuals, and strainers, which are now "obsolete"). this thing has "made complex tasks easy, and is dishwasher safe." it's also great for baking, straining, serving, tossing, and more!

did i metion it's a silly piece of shit? :blink:

Edited by tommy (log)

Does anyone remember the product that was around 5-8 years ago that was just some cutting-board sized thing that you placed your frozen food on that accelerated the defrosting process tremendously? That must have worked, seeing as so many people have them today.

I've seen "reviews" of this item in a number of publications. It seems the "Rare, specialized alloy" is actually a plain aluminium plate that could be manufactured for about 50 cents. Of course even that is worth more than those supposed antenna boosters you stick on the back of your cell phone... :rolleyes:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

My local news station has fun ordering these things and then showing them in use on TV. My favorite was the pancake maker, "so easy if you can turn a doorknob you can make beautiful pancakes." When they tested it, the batter promtly spilled out all over their stove top.

I'd like to try all the things they do to demonstrate the product. Like using the vacuum sealer to crush cans, using the Ginsu knife to cut through a can and then slice a tomato paper thin, and torturing the plastic baking pans then watching them bounce back ready for cake batter.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

• 2 weeks later...
I saw the magic spatual/whisk/tongs last night for the first time. It was the "but-wait-if-you-order-now" "free" add-on to some kind of lame rotary grater. Have to say I was intrigued, but I'm sure it's actually a piece of useless crap.

We'll know in just 2-4 short weeks. I've gotten to the point that if something interests me and it's less than $30 I just buy it. I figure it is my reward for not being a smoker or excessive drinker (and I have a 5 and 6 year old so the disposable income that I'd ordinarily spend on my stomach isn't being spent that way)

2-4 short weeks my ass. I ordered on February 10 and my ChefWizards arrived today. I have not yet been home to experiment but I'll have a great time tonight I'm sure.

• 2 months later...
This has been an interesting thread, but no one has mentioned my all time favorite, the Bassomatic.

Jim

The bass-o-matic video was playing at Copia in the middle of the ronco display (next to Julia's Kitchen). It kicks ass, I want one.

This seems like the place to ask.....has anyone bought, or does anyone know anything about, a food processor marketed in late-night infomercials as the "Ulitmate Chopper"?

Ultimate Chopper

(Notice each one comes with a free Miracle Blade Slicer! A $30 value!)

I have never owned a food processor and have been thinking about buying one for some time--one that's versatile, not-too-big/not-too-small, powerful, well-made. This one looks like it might fit the bill (their demonstration of the machine processing concrete into dust impressed me!), but I'm curious if anyone has any firsthand experience with it. Is it any better/worse than others on the market?

Alternatively, if anyone has any recommendations for such a food processor, I'd love to hear them! (feel free to PM me rather than taking up thread space, if you like)

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

I've never seen the infomercial for the product that you mention. That said, in my experience, smaller isn't always better when it comes to food processors. if all you plan to do is chop an onion or make some breadcrumbs, or mince a head of garlic, than a small unit would probably be ok for you. But that's about all they can handle, with the small cup.

If you ever plan on making dough or pasta, or making a batch of hummus, or anthing with more volume than about 8 ounces, a small cup processor is not going to get you very far.

As far as processing concrete into dust... well, what will it do to an onion? I don't know many recipes that call for onion paste!

• 3 months later...
with dividepro, you can now cook pork chops and vegetables in the same pan, without getting all of that nasty pork chop flavor all over your string beans.

But if you're cooking for a family, you'll need 3 or 4 dividepros to get enough cooked to feed everyone, so why not just cook it in separate pans to begin with? :wacko:

with dividepro, you can now cook pork chops and vegetables in the same pan, without getting all of that nasty pork chop flavor all over your string beans.

But if you're cooking for a family, you'll need 3 or 4 dividepros to get enough cooked to feed everyone, so why not just cook it in separate pans to begin with? :wacko:

i think it's buy one get one free. :laugh: