• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

West Philly Dinner, ABE lunch, Lewisburg anything?

Although I grew up in New Hope, I now live in Washington State so my knowledge of the PA restaurant scene is nonexistent. I'm taking a fast college tour with my younger son to eastern PA and hoping to find solace from the prospective tuition with some good food. We'll be up in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area for a couple of lunches, and we'll spend a night in Lewisburg (Bucknell) where it would be nice to find a meal other than the Country Cupboard (if that's possible). My best prospect appears to be when we'll visit my older son at Swarthmore, in the hope that we can find something decent in a dinner west of Philadelphia. A cursory search doesn't offer great hope, but I am hoping there's something I've missed. Thanks for any help!

In Allentown:

Syb's West End Deli is open for breakfast and lunch. 2151 W. Liberty Street (at 22nd St.)

If you're in Allentown Thursday-Saturday, the Farmer's Market at the Fairgrounds (Chew St. and 19th St.) has some decent options for lunch. Danny D and Denise's lunch counter has good burgers and the like. There are also take-out places, like Dan's Bar-B-Que.

Tsang's Bistro is an out-of-the-way Chinese restaurant (2730 Walbert Ave.) that we like.

Allentown Brew Works makes their own beer and has good burgers, salads, and pasta. Lunch and dinner. (812 W. Hamilton St.) There's also a location in Bethlehem.

The Bay Leaf is probably Allentown's most ambitious restaurant. Lunch and Dinner. (935 Hamilton St.)

Hope this helps!

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish