• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Olives

mikeI

I bought red olives this weekend at granville isle mkt. I was wandering if they are naturally that color or are they died some how.

I was under the impression that olives started out green, then turned to black, depending on how long they are left to ripen.

any body know about red olives??

I bought red olives this weekend at granville isle mkt.  I was wandering if they are naturally that color or are they died some how.

I was under the impression that olives started out green, then turned to black, depending on how long they are left to ripen.

any body know about red olives??

Maybe they're kalamata's from Greece. Those are sort of a purple- red?

are they quite large? cerignolas come to mind--i've seen them in green (which, while a fairly vivid green, looks pretty natural) and red (which doesn't).

found this:

natural red dye?

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

If they are cerignola's, then yes, they are dyed. Even the green ones. The red and green combination usually comes out at Christmas, and lately I've spotted purple ones. Like, grape purple.

Weird.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

We have a large local Italian market with at least a dozen types of olives, and they always have the large, red-dyed Cerignolas.

One thing I notice is that some trays of olives are all exactly the same color, while others seem to have a variety of hues. I am guessing that the olives that appear color cloned have probably been dyed. Is there any quick and dirty way to identify dyed olives?

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

In the development stages an olive goes from a yellow thru green thru red and on to black, with some being a bit of each. Grading olives for harvest uses color as a guide to insure consistency of ripeness, year to year.

"I drink to make other people interesting".