• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seatac to Vancouver BC Lunchtime Restaurant

We'll be driving from Seatac to Vancouver BC at lunchtime this coming Saturday. Does anyone have any ideas for a cool place for lunch along the way, near I-5? We prefer something that isn't too formal. We love anything with seafood...something that features northwest cuisine would be great!

Thanks so much for any guidance,

Margy

How about The Oyster Bar?

http://www.theoysterbaronchuckanutdrive.com/

I've been there once--the food wasn't spectacular, but it was quite good. The location is beautiful, and getting there you'll get to see the rest of Chuckanut Drive--one of the most gorgeous drives in the region. It's definitely an old-time Northwest experience.

MaryMc

Seattle, WA

Thanks for the suggestion Mary! I'm afraid we'd be there much too late for lunch though....we land at Seatac at 12:30. I think something more in the Seattle area would be good. I love lake Samish though...it's always looked so beautiful, but we've never stopped there. Maybe we can stop there on the way back!

Margy

If you have not been to the Pike Place Market, it isn't far from I-5. Parking can be painful - but just use an expensive garage. Best for seafood, Matt's in the Market, best to have reservations.

There are other nice places (Steelhead Diner is wonderful too) there as well as some less formal options like the Market Grill in the main arcade. [Avoid the Pike Place Bar and Grill at all costs.]

If you don't want to hassle with the Market, you could go to Baguette Box on Capitol Hill - not much seafood, but cool.

Edited by tsquare (log)

Well, the target-rich environment of the International District is easily accessible from I-5. I definitely think of the offerings there as "Northwest Cuisine", but others may differ.

Prime targets:

Maneki

Thanh Tam

Sichuan Chinese Cuisine (NW corner 12th + Jackson)

7 Star Pepper

Malay Satay Hut

House of Hong (dim sum)

Top Gun Seafood

Tamarind Tree, IMO, is much less interesting for lunch than for dinner.

Matt's in the Market is also a great call -- though getting in and out of that area early on a Saturday afternoon won't be quick (though the ID could be slow as well if you don't stick to the 12th + Jackson area).

--- Lee

Seattle

Well, the target-rich environment of the International District is easily accessible from I-5.  I definitely think of the offerings there as "Northwest Cuisine", but others may differ. 

Prime targets:

Maneki

Thanh Tam

Sichuan Chinese Cuisine (NW corner 12th + Jackson)

7 Star Pepper

Malay Satay Hut

House of Hong (dim sum)

Top Gun Seafood

Tamarind Tree, IMO, is much less interesting for lunch than for dinner. 

Matt's in the Market is also a great call -- though getting in and out of that area early on a Saturday afternoon won't be quick (though the ID could be slow as well if you don't stick to the 12th + Jackson area).

Maneki is dinner only.

Thanh Tam? Can't say I've ever noticed it. Lots of Vietnamese restaurants around town. What makes this one of interest?

Malay Satay - has it ever reopened in the ID location - oh it appears it has! Not exactly NW, but some good food.

Top Gun is long gone - there is one in Bellevue at Factoria, just off the 405.

Tamarind tree lunch and dinner have identical menus, don't they? Just order differently.

If you are going to Vancouver - I recommend waiting until there for Chinese and Dim Sum, though I like plenty of places in Seattle, it's always being said it is better in Richmond etc...

You could hit Elliott Bay Bookstore's Cafe for some good lunching from the chef of 10 year old Brasa. Not sure about fish.

Also, the restaurant Taste within the Seattle Art Museum.

Quinn's Pub is open for lunch on Saturday, but dinner is so much better. Lunch can be kind of sad really.

The Dahlia Lounge (a Tom Douglas restaurant) and Lola (across the street) are open for brunch.

Pretty rooms, good food.

There is always Wild Ginger (someone has to say it.)

And finally, Tilth Restaurant has Saturday brunch. Little seafood, but organic and well regarded for dinner. I enjoyed a light brunch here.

A favourite lunch/dinner/anytime stop for us when driving between Vancouver, BC and Seattle is Boundary Bay Brewery and Bistro in Bellingham. Its quite good pub food (they do a decent job with salmon) and outstanding beer (one of these trips we'll have to stay over in Bellingham so we can indulge in more than just one).

http://www.bbaybrewery.com/index.php

If you take the scenic detour along Chuckanut Drive, there's the Oyster Bar - with a view that can't be beat, local oysters and a decent wine list

http://www.theoysterbaronchuckanutdrive.com/

^ whoops - just noticed the Oyster Bar was mentioned above. Make mine a second vote then :-)

Edited by run2eat (log)

Thank you so much for all of your great suggestions! I think we'll probably end up at one of the spots either near downtown (Pike place etc) or just north. We are expected at the in-laws for dinner in White Rock BC, so we don't want to have too late of a lunch! We've been to Pike Place market several times, but haven't eaten at Matts in the Market....it looks great!

Thanks again and I'll let you know where we end up.

Margy

Thanh Tam? Can't say I've ever noticed it. Lots of Vietnamese restaurants around town. What makes this one of interest?

The best pho broth I've ever had. Interesting spices on other things, too.

As for Tamarind Tree, they have a rather decided shortened menu for lunch. Or at least they did, last time I was there for lunch (a year ago?).

--- Lee

Seattle

No one mentioned Salumi?

If you want Vietnamese, I would suggest Green Leaf over Tamarind Tree. New World Seafood next door to Seven Stars Pepper offers better dim sum. Honestly though, if you're heading to Vancouver get your Chinese food there, not here in Seattle. We suck in comparison. Seafood at lunch is well, look, dinner is the best time for seafood here I think. But Matt's in the Market or Market Grill are probably your best options. Curious about the Pike Place option? Check this out.

Rocky