• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle area appliance installation

Special K

This weekend we orderd a new dishwasher and an electric range. The dishwasher will be installed by the Miele people, but I need to find someone to install the range. Has anyone in the Seattle area had a good (or bad!) experience lately you can share? Thanks very much.

This weekend we orderd a new dishwasher and an electric range.  The dishwasher will be installed by the Miele people, but I need to find someone to install the range.  Has anyone in the Seattle area had a good (or bad!) experience lately you can share?  Thanks very much.

Don't you just plug one in, take out the plastic wrapped goodies from the oven and go? Do you need an electrician to update your outlet? Or worried about the anti-tip device?

I pull ours out to clean every now and then, it does not look complicated. I also had no problems when I replaced the one in the old house prior to putting the house on the market.

Does the appliance retailer not do a take away your old range, install the new one? Might check on that?

The vent for the downdraft is different on this one; they might need to chop a hole in the floor . . . Albert Lee will take away the old range, but they don't do "complicated" installs. They gave us a list of installers, but only one is a licensed electrician - guess I'll have to go with him. Thank you for responding.

Hole in the floor? An electrician may not be the best idea. A quality carpenter perhaps. Or a heating installer. Will they need to do sheet metal work from there to outside? Don't vent into your basement or crawl space - the vent should go to the exterior of the house.

Maybe. The guy I'm thinking of calling has a general contractor license and is recommended by Albert Lee, so I'm hoping he can cut the hole and route the vent to the outside wall if he needs to. The range is under a window and the current one vents to the outside; it's just that the new range's downdraft apparently goes straight down. I guess they'll try to install it without cutting a hole in the (wood) floor, but if they need to, they need to. I will insist that this one vent to the outside. As you can probably tell, I don't know nuthin' about the process and I am at the installer's mercy here. Thanks, tsquare.

And LEdlund, thanks for your recommendation. It's nice to have a back-up! On Angie's List, the contractor above got one very good vote and one very bad one (about showing up late, not about bad work).

Hmm, I just looked at the install instructions for at least one Jenn Air electric range with downdraft and it shows options for venting through the back wall or the floor. Before they cut your floor, take a look at the info. They may be able to use your existing vent! Or PM me with the model number and I can offer my opinion offline.

A general contractor is an good option.

Thanks, tsquare.

Yes, the current range (Dacor) is vented through the back wall and I'm hoping this one can be done the same way - through the same hole if possible! But since the salesman mentioned the possibility of having to cut through the floor I figured I'd better be prepared for that.

I do have the install instructions; I just haven't had a minute to look through them. Last night we wrestled the old dishwasher out and the new Miele will be delivered tomorrow and installed Friday. I'll read the JennAir manual and call the contractor while I'm home those two days waiting for the dishwasher people.

I really do appreciate your interest and help. I'll let you know how things turn out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well! We got the range installed, finally! They did have to enlarge the hole in the wall to the outside for the downdraft vent, but they did not have to chop a new hole in the floor, so that was a lot of worry over nothing. They also did some electrical work so that the dishwasher can be installed. Turns out the new dw backs right up against the wall, and for some reason there was a junction box sticking out about three inches, so they made that problem go away. The Luwa guy will be out to install it tomorrow (and I'll finally get it out of the middle of the dining room!). Many thanks to tsquare, again, for walking me through this.

So, now I have a beautiful, working Jenn Air downdraft range -- which has no burners as yet :hmmm: but those should be delivered this weekend. But I do have the use of the oven, and the first batch of snickerdoodles turned out just fine! This oven is quite a bit larger than the old one, so I celebrated that by going out yesterday and buying (at a consignment shop) the biggest, baddest roasting pan (complete with a very nice roasting rack) that I could find. Now, finally, I can roast HUGE turkeys for the holidays! Aaand I can use my nifty new in-oven meat probe! I'm just amazed at all the new tricks ovens can do nowadays. And the clock works! I'm just giddy with excitement!

I have the old grill insert from the Dacor range, and as soon as I can, I'll find it and post the details; if anybody here would like it, it's free to a good home.