• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roald Dahl Party

CalumC

Hello everyone,

Some friends and myself have decided to throw a Roald Dahl party and i've been put in charge of food. I'm trying to remember things from his books that I could recreate/develop and serve. Mostly small/canape sort of things, so if anyone can come up with stuff then it'd be incredibly helpful. I'm thinking I might opt for a contemporary sort of style, i'm willing to use some chemicals e.g. maltodextrin perhaps.

One idea i'm sort of playing with is a creation based on the scene from charlie and the chocolate factory where everything is edible. Perhaps a small version of that room, chocolate soil, chocolate mixing river.

It might be too ambitious, but it seems fun to me, so go crazy with ideas and hopefully it'll work.

Cheers all.

I think the murder with a leg of lamb was from one of his stories--so you could serve that.

That was going to be my suggestion also. I think the story was 'Lamb to the Slaughter.'

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

I think the murder with a leg of lamb was from one of his stories--so you could serve that.

That was going to be my suggestion also. I think the story was 'Lamb to the Slaughter.'

Although to make it really authentic, you would have to serve it with tinned peas and tinned potatoes. The lamb would also have to go into the oven from frozen.

PS: I am a guy.

From the BFG, the "Grobswitchy cake"

"Hornets stewed in tar" - from James and the Giant Peach

"Pickled spines of porcupines" and " boiled slobbages" also from James..

"Pishlets" and "plushnuggets" - from the Giraffe and the Pelly and me

"Toad in the hole", from Danny the Champion of the world

Oh this is so exciting!

I though the leg of lamb idea was great!!! Lamb to the slaughter is one of my all-time favourite Roald Dahl stories!!

Or remember Quentin Blake´s drawing of Mr. Twits´beard, with the piece of stilton, cornflake, fishbones etc... errrghhh... So gross and so funny. You could do something horrible with that.

Or make a cool brown-coloured drink with along the lines of George´s marvellous medicine...

Or the "recipe for concocting Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker" from The Witches.

Oh what a great party!! Do post pictures and tell us what you made!!!

OK, so I dragged out my copy of Revolting Recipes. Here is the index:

Strawberry flavoured chocolate coated fudge (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

Green Pea Soup (The Witches)

Wormy Spaghetti (The Twits)

Snozzcumbers (The BFG)

Fresh Mudburgers (James and the Giant Peach)

Mosquitoes' Toes and Wampfish Roes Most Delicately Fried (James and the Giant Peach)

Bird Pie (The Twits)

Bunce's Doughnuts (Fantastic Mr Fox)

The Enormous Crocodile

George's Marvellous Medicine Chicken Soup

Krokan Icecream (Boy)

Toffee Apples (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

Hot Frogs (James and the Giant Peach)

Mr Twit's Beard Food (The Twits)

Lickable Wallpaper for Nurseries (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

Candy-coated Pencils For Sucking In Class (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

Hansel and Gretel Spare Ribs (Rhyme Stew)

Butterscotch (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

Peach Juice (James and the Giant Peach)

Stink Bugs' Eggs (James and the Giant Peach)

Bruce Bogtrotter's Cake (Matilda)

Scrambled Dregs (James and the Giant Peach)

Frobscottle (The BFG)

Crispy Wasp Stings on a Piece of Buttered Toast (James and the Giant Peach)

Eatable Marshmallow Pillows (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

Hope that is some inspiration to you. Let me know if you'd like elaboration on what any of them entail :)

Great ideas everyone, i'll be compiling in the next day or so. I should warn you now that as this is a student flat, its essentially a drink party, but as i knew there was a lot of food reference in Roald Dahl I had to enforce some cooking in somehow. I'll try and do as much as i can but it'll probably all be small items, certainly not going to be any sit down aspect.