• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non traditional desserts

Suvir Saran

CHAI FLAN

Serves 6 to 8

I got the original version of this recipe from my neighbor in Delhi, whom we called Susan Aunty. (In India, all neighbors are addressed as uncles or aunts; Susan Aunty is a Christian from Kerala in southern India, and so she has a Christian name.) I've embellished her recipe with chai ingredients. I cook the caramel until it's quite dark – the slight bitterness of a darker caramel contrasts nicely with the sweet custard.

11/2 cups half and half

1 tablespoon loose Darjeeling or Earl Grey tea

1/2 teaspoon “ pearls” jasmine tea (also sold as “jasmine dragon phoenix pearls”), optional

1 inch cinnamon stick, broken in half

6 green cardamom pods, pods opened slightly

5 whole cloves

1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and cut into chunks

4 black peppercorns

1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk

4 large eggs

8 ounces cream cheese

1/4 teaspoon garam masala

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

Grated zest of 2 oranges

1 inch cinnamon stick

1. For the custard, combine the cream, half and half, teas, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, ginger and peppercorns in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, remove from the heat, cover and let steep 15 minutes. Strain into a small bowl and cool to room temperature.

2. Preheat the oven to 350? and remove all but the bottom oven rack. Line an 8- by 8- inch or larger baking dish with a doubled kitchen towel.

3. Combine the sweetened condensed milk, chai infused half and half, eggs, cream cheese, and garam masala in the blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.

4. Combine the sugar, water, and cinnamon in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a simmer and remove from the heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and the syrup is clear. Then return to the heat and boil, swirling the pan every now and then, until syrup caramelizes to a deep brown color, 4 to 5 more minutes. Add the orange zest. Immediately pour the caramel into a 2 1/2-quart metal charlotte mold and tip the mold to coat it with the caramel. Let the mold cool a few minutes and then pour the custard mixture into it.

5. Put the mold in the baking dish and then put the dish into the preheated oven. Use a measuring cup to add hot tap water to almost fill the baking dish. Bake until the custard is just set but still jiggles when shaken, and a skewer stuck in about 1 inch from the edge comes out clean, about 1 hour 25 minutes. Carefully lift the charlotte mold out of the pan. Turn off the oven and let the water in the baking dish cool a little before moving it. Refrigerate the flan to chill completely.

6. To serve, set the charlotte mold over medium heat until the bottom gets hot, about 1 minute. (This is to melt the caramel so that the flan will unmold.) Run a knife around the edge to loosen the flan. Overturn a serving plate on top of the mold and then turn the mold upside down on top of the plate. Remove the mold. Cut the flan into wedges and serve.

I've had this dessert recently and I must say its truly amazing, Suvir.

I wonder if the spice mixture in this dish would work in a Creme Brulee?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've had this dessert recently and I must say its truly amazing, Suvir.

I wonder if the spice mixture in this dish would work in a Creme Brulee?

Thanks Jason! What you had was even more intense and bold I think. You had the Chat Pots de Creme. It is one of my favorite desserts when I want something spicy. But this flan was based on those Pots de Creme's. You are a smart cookie.:smile:

It sure does. At Pondicherry they had prepared spiced Creme Brulee and those were very good. In fact my favorite Creme Brulee ever was at Pondicherry and it was a Basil Creme Brulee. Also I had a tasting of Creme Brulee at the Jaan in Singapore and those were better than most I have had in the US or France. Creme Brulee is so simple and yet not many make it just perfect.

By the way I remember being told by my grandmother who lives in SF that the English loved Indian desserts and also loved Indian spices. They concocted Curry Powder to flavor their savory dishes and Pudding Spice/Masala for desserts.

This masala was also called Mixed Spice. It is a blend of spices that lend great flavor when added to sweet preparations. Certainly the assortment of spices in this blend varies from package to package or home to home, but traditionally only sweet spices are used.

Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Coriander, Cardamom, Mace, Cloves, All Spice add Cardamom are some of the spices in this mix.

Do you have favorite desserts that you prepare using Indian spices or ingredients?

What are they?  

Recipes?

Where did you get inspiration to make them?

I have two non traditional favorites I guess.

1.Hawaiian Rabri: Tangy and sweet cold pineapple slices transform Rabri -- an Indian favorite to a tropical delight. This sweetened thickened milk dessert layered over the pineapple is mouth watering.

2. Strawberry and Kiwi Shrikhand: Shrikhand very traditional Indian dessert is generally made with yogurt flavored with saffron or mango. A dear American friend of mine, adapted my recipe for Shrikhand with the wonderful and charming flavors of Kiwi and Strawberry. A skeptic at heart, i was wary at first. One bite changed all our minds. The strawberry blends in with the yogurt perfectly and the kiwi provides a wonderful contrasting flavor.

:smile:

Do you have favorite desserts that you prepare using Indian spices or ingredients?

What are they?  

Recipes?

Where did you get inspiration to make them?

I have two non traditional favorites I guess.

1.Hawaiian Rabri: Tangy and sweet cold pineapple slices transform Rabri -- an Indian favorite to a tropical delight. This sweetened thickened milk dessert layered over the pineapple is mouth watering.

2. Strawberry and Kiwi Shrikhand: Shrikhand very traditional Indian dessert is generally made with yogurt flavored with saffron or mango. A dear American friend of mine, adapted my recipe for Shrikhand with the wonderful and charming flavors of Kiwi and Strawberry. A skeptic at heart, i was wary at first. One bite changed all our minds. The strawberry blends in with the yogurt perfectly and the kiwi provides a wonderful contrasting flavor.

:smile:

I would have Strawberry Shrikhand in Bombay. It was made with Mahabaleshwar berries. Was most amazing.

Will have to try the kiwi-strawberry one next year... thanks for the idea.

How do you make your Shrikhand? Recipe please... :rolleyes:

I often make an American-style rice pudding with any left over rice from Indian food take out, by simplyn mixing the spiced rice into custard I've prepared for that purpose.

Obviously, this works only if "sweet" spices were used in the rice to begin with and it was not heavily salted.

Spicegirldc,

What desserts do you make that use Curry Powder/Sambhaar Powder/Rassam Powder/Chana Masala/Achaari Masala?

Would love those recipes.

When was the last time you had a dessert with those spice blends?

I guess I am not as non traditional as I thought!! I have not tried to flavor with desserts with any savory spices, except using Chai Masala for Ice Cream / Kulfi..... I shall think about this ... I use a lot of cardamom, saffron, etc for desserts.

Has anyone else out there tried these?

Spicegirldc,

What desserts do you make that use Curry Powder/Sambhaar Powder/Rassam Powder/Chana Masala/Achaari Masala?

Would love those recipes.

When was the last time you had a dessert with those spice blends?

I guess I am not as non traditional as I thought!! I have not tried to flavor with desserts with any savory spices, except using Chai Masala for Ice Cream / Kulfi..... I shall think about this ... I use a lot of cardamom, saffron, etc for desserts.

Has anyone else out there tried these?

Chai is not savory........ I love Chai... with most any dessert it could be a great complement. Chai is the word for tea... and the spices we Indians flavor it with are mostly sweet spices.. and so those spices go with just about anything... savory or sweet.

I love cardamom in most of my desserts that are Indian. Saffron is another great spice. It can work well with both savory and sweet foods. I have used both spices with great success with non-Indian desserts as well.

And Spicegirl, like you, I have had little if any experience with savory spices.

What do you consider savory? Rassam powder/Curry powder/sambhaar powder/achaari masala/chaat masala? Or are there others too that you consider savory?

I have had cardamom ice cream before, and thought that it was very good.  Also made pumpkin and cardamom creme brulee for Thanksgiving one year.  Sorry Suvir, but I will have to look for those recipes when I get home tonight.

I have enjoyed great cardamom ice cream as well. If handled properly, it is a great spice.

The creme brulee sounds great as well.

Whenever you find the recipes, do share... I am sure many would be delighted to try them.

What do you consider savory? Rassam powder/Curry powder/sambhaar powder/achaari masala/chaat masala? Or are there others too that you consider savory?

You have listed what I consider Savory .. I guess you are right Chai masala is sweeter... I had CHicken Mithia (sweet) one time at a friends house.. it is an acquired taste!!!! :shock:

I had CHicken Mithia (sweet) one time at a friends house.. it is an acquired taste!!!! :shock:

Now you are a certified Indian Foodie!

Not many people have eaten desserts made with chicken, lamb or garlic. And yes in India we make desserts out of all 3.

I was lucky to tasted these in India.