• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TO life's Top 10 restos

rgruby

I think we could almost predict next years list already, almost down to the order they come in. Don't know whether that says more about Chatto/TO Life or our high end resto scene).

I was a bit surprised Canoe got the top nod - but not from any personal experience. I haven't been to any of the top 10 in recent memory.

Of the top 10 new restos, I was mildly surprised Madelines wasn't on there (although haven't tried it either). Then I looked and noticed they gave it 2.5 stars - the same as Nota Bene, their pick as top new resto. Hmmmmm.

And a question, have any non-European ethnic restos made the top ten in the past. Lai Wah Heen maybe? I ask because I noticed that a Thai place has garnered three stars.

And, just for fun, how would your lists differ?

Cheers,

Geoff

I think we could almost predict next years list already, almost down to the order they come in. Don't know whether that says more about Chatto/TO Life or our high end resto scene).

I was a bit surprised Canoe got the top nod - but not from any personal experience. I haven't been to any of the top 10 in recent memory.

Of the top 10 new restos, I was mildly surprised Madelines wasn't on there (although haven't tried it either). Then I looked and noticed they gave it 2.5 stars - the same as Nota Bene, their pick as top new resto. Hmmmmm.

And a question, have any non-European ethnic restos made the top ten in the past. Lai Wah Heen maybe? I ask because I noticed that a Thai place has garnered three stars. 

Cheers,

Geoff

Just for everyone's information, here is the list:

Top 10:

Canoe

Eigensinn Farm

Splendido

Via Allegro

Sushi Kaji

Scaramouche

North 44

Langdon Hall

Auberge du Pommier

C5

top 10 new restaurants :

Nota Bene

Black Hoof

Frank

Loire

Harbord Room

Atelier Thuet

Mildred's Temple Kitchen

Grace

Delux

Gilead Cafe

Out of the top 10, Sushi Kaji is the only one that would make my top 10 list.

An easier list for me to draw up would be top 10 favourite dishes in TO, rather than top 10 restaurants. I'd include the quince/apple tarte tatin at Forte, the patatas bravas with artichokes at Cava, the goulash soup at Europe Bar & Restaurant, the fattoush at Tabule, Thai islamic noodle at Linda, the huevos divoriciados at Easy, the Singapore slaw at Lee, perogies at Chopin, the chicken, arugula and goat cheese tartine at Holt's Cafe, the gnocchi alla gorgonzola at Da Gianni e Maria Trattoria. As you can see, only a few of my favourite dishes are found in Toronto's high fallutin' restaurants:)

Edited by phoenikia (log)

Cheers,

Geoff

Top 10:

Canoe

Eigensinn Farm

Splendido

Via Allegro

Sushi Kaji

Scaramouche

North 44

Langdon Hall

Auberge du Pommier

C5

top 10 new restaurants :

Nota Bene

Black Hoof

Frank

Loire

Harbord Room

Atelier Thuet

Mildred's Temple Kitchen

Grace

Delux

Gilead Cafe

An easier list for me to draw up would be top 10 favourite dishes in TO, rather than top 10 restaurants. I'd include the quince/apple tarte tatin at Forte, the patatas bravas with artichokes at Cava, the goulash soup at Europe Bar & Restaurant, the fattoush at Tabule, Thai islamic noodle at Linda, the huevos divoriciados at Easy, the Singapore slaw at Lee, perogies at Chopin, the chicken, arugula and goat cheese tartine at Holt's Cafe, the gnocchi alla gorgonzola at Da Gianni e Maria Trattoria. As you can see, only a few of my favourite dishes are found in Toronto's high fallutin' restaurants:)

I find it hard to believe Splendido would not be on your top 10...have you been there?

Cheers,

Geoff

Top 10:

Canoe

Eigensinn Farm

Splendido

Via Allegro

Sushi Kaji

Scaramouche

North 44

Langdon Hall

Auberge du Pommier

C5

top 10 new restaurants :

Nota Bene

Black Hoof

Frank

Loire

Harbord Room

Atelier Thuet

Mildred's Temple Kitchen

Grace

Delux

Gilead Cafe

I find it hard to believe Splendido would not be on your top 10...have you been there?

I haven't dined at Splendido. The descriptions of the dishes on their menu rarely sound like dishes I would want to order- especially since I'm not a big fan of foie gras, truffles, fennel, quail eggs, venison or beef. http://splendido.ca/menus/ It seems sort of strange for me to go to Splendido to try their beet salad. Has anyone tried Splendido's beet salad? Is it worth a special visit?

But I might have to try Splendido one of these days to see how their butter poached lobster compares to the version at Scaramouche.

Edited by phoenikia (log)

I found the selection of Canoe as the top restaurant in the city surprising as did many people I know more knowledgeable about the current Toronto food scene then me. I presumed that Splendido or Eigensinn would have grabbed the top spot. With that, it's a big mistake to write off Splendido because you "don't like xyz". Aside from the fact that Splendido has to be serving the best beef in town, David Lee is a precise and talented cook who elevates Canadian ingredients to a very high level. There are a number of dishes on the menu that showcase his deft hand ingredients that are not beef, venison, foie gras or truffles. My last meal at Splendido was superior to any other that I've had in Toronto, including the old Susur.

I found the selection of Canoe as the top restaurant in the city surprising as did many people I know more knowledgeable about the current Toronto food scene then me. I presumed that Splendido or Eigensinn would have grabbed the top spot. With that, it's a big mistake to write off Splendido because you "don't like xyz". Aside from the fact that Splendido has to be serving the best beef in town, David Lee is a precise and talented cook who elevates Canadian ingredients to a very high level. There are a number of dishes on the menu that showcase his deft hand ingredients that are not beef, venison, foie gras or truffles. My last meal at Splendido was superior to any other that I've had in Toronto, including the old Susur.

Any specific items that stood out?

It's been a while so details are murky, especially since I don't have notes on me, but the spectacular rib-eye (I know that's off limits here), but lamb and pork preps were pretty excellent. More interestingly, it appears that David Lee is leaving Splendido and his chef de cuisine is taking over. Wild.

It's been a while so details are murky, especially since I don't have notes on me, but the spectacular rib-eye (I know that's off limits here), but lamb and pork preps were pretty excellent. More interestingly, it appears that David Lee is leaving Splendido and his chef de cuisine is taking over. Wild.

Which makes me wonder whether that is where I still want to go in a few weeks time and if the quality will remain as is.

• 4 weeks later...
What about Thuet's Bite Me? I had an incredible meal there last fall.

Yeah, that's a bit of a surprise given that Chatto is a fan of Thuet. But Thuet did get listed in the top ten best new restos (for Athelier Thuet). so he hasn't been completely left out.

Cheers,

Geoff

• 7 months later...

Ate at Canoe late fri night. Still one of my favorite places. The food is always solid as well as the service. Drank an 03 Chassagne Montrachet, Had the gigantic Canoe platter and a few other small plates. What a great way to start a weekend in Toronto.