• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making juice and using what's left

phage

Got a good juicer at a yard sale a while back and haven't used it much - now I have bought a big bag of carrots and have been making juice from them. There's lots of carrot pulp left over - seems like it should be good for more than compost.

So far I've tried two things: little fried carrot cakes (mixing pulp with glutenous rice flour and seasonings and frying it.) This seems to have potential....

Soup: with the carrot okara as a major ingredient.

Anyone have more ideas on how to use this?

Also wondering if this stuff has much nutritional value.

Gac

You know, this sounds like an excellent way to add fiber. I would think with all that orange there is still some beta carotene left.

My first thought was of course carrot cake. I had an aunt that made a grated carrot pie that was savory and custard or quiche like. Sorry, many moons ago and I don't have a recipe and only a vague memory.

Maybe in a marmalade?

Soup:  with the carrot okara as a major ingredient.

One of my favorite soups -- cook some onions in olive oil until soft, add lots and lots of carrot, cover in stock (vegetable or chicken), salt and pepper, cover and simmer until soft. Add lots of fresh dill and puree. Simple and good.

Dry it out and grind it. Carrot powder. ;) We do it the in restaurant. Probably not the route youre looking for, but the question was posed.

Brilliant! Adding carrot powder to pasta dough would make some amazing looking noodles!

What else do you do with the carrot powder, if you don't mind me asking?

-sabine