• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Dessert

Patrick A.

Ok, so I was asked this week to take on the task of coming up with a dessert for the Faculty Appreciation Dinner the students here at my college are doing. I need ideas.

Me and another student are basically doing the menu. We met yesterday for about thirty minutes to brain storm on the dessert. She wants something light and airy that will finish off the meal. She suggested something with citrus, but she also wants to incorporate some chocolate.

Now this dinner is for about 50+ people. There will be youngsters so nothing with alcohol. We are mostly paying for and possibly getting donations for this event, so it has to be inexpensive. Its on April 6th, I only have that day to prep everything according to the event planner.

The main course is Pork, she plans on just simply grilling this with salt, pepper, etc.... very simple.

My ideas are are either a mini lemon meringue pie cake or gfron1 give me the idea of a simple nepolian with lemon curd which I also like. Possibly a macaroon garnish. Square plate?????

She needs my plan by March 30th so I have time. Anyone have any other ideas suggestions?

If this was a normal dinner we have an unlimited budget.........but its not.

Also, I was thinking of doing a mirror glaze or something exciting, but most of this people are should i say very "old fashioned", so my over the top ideas wouldn't pass.

Thanks

I like gfron1's idea!  Fast, inexpensive, easy, impressive!

fillo circle topped with lemon curd, fillo, curd worked into whipped cream, fillo, candied peel with 99% chocolate shavings.

:rolleyes:

He is a genius, isn't he? A veritable culinary idol.

What, no celery?

I like to make an orange bavarian filling and put it between chocolate cake layers then cover the whole thing in chocolate glaze. You can do this as a large sheet cake, or 10" rounds or even individual bombes or stacks. I serve it with a citrus salad.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

I like to make an orange bavarian filling and put it between chocolate cake layers then cover the whole thing in chocolate glaze.  You can do this as a large sheet cake, or 10" rounds or even individual bombes or stacks.  I serve it with a citrus salad.

do you ever worry about your filling going bad? i shy away from bavarians and mousse and such because of the idea that it might deflate, or go bad, or something like that. do you know how long something like that can be out without it being in the fridge? or how long it could stay in the fridge and still taste good? (ex: you make on monday...but don't eat till.....wed? fri? could it go a whole week?) :huh:

My only concern is that you said there will be kids there. Some will and some won't be happy with a "fancy" adult-type fruity dessert. Could you do something where some things are lemon or orange, and some things are chocolate? Think 2 kinds of mousse, or do the filo thing both in chocolate and some in citrus. The thought that came to my mind (though not very fancy) is thumbprint cookies -- some filled with curd and some filled with ganache. You get the idea.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

My only concern is that you said there will be kids there.  Some will and some won't be happy with a "fancy" adult-type fruity dessert.  Could you do something where some things are lemon or orange, and some things are chocolate?  Think 2 kinds of mousse, or do the filo thing both in chocolate and some in citrus.  The thought that came to my mind (though not very fancy) is thumbprint cookies -- some filled with curd and some filled with ganache.  You get the idea.

Or do TWO fruit options -- citrus and berry.

Edited to add:

Your life will be much easier if there ISN'T any choice.

If there is variety:

Some people will want 'one of each'

You may run out of an option before everyone is served

No matter what you offer, someone won't like it!

:wink: It's only dessert, after all....... :wacko:

Edited by baroness (log)

I like to make an orange bavarian filling and put it between chocolate cake layers then cover the whole thing in chocolate glaze.  You can do this as a large sheet cake, or 10" rounds or even individual bombes or stacks.  I serve it with a citrus salad.

do you ever worry about your filling going bad? i shy away from bavarians and mousse and such because of the idea that it might deflate, or go bad, or something like that. do you know how long something like that can be out without it being in the fridge? or how long it could stay in the fridge and still taste good? (ex: you make on monday...but don't eat till.....wed? fri? could it go a whole week?) :huh:

I don't recommend serving bavarian at room temperature, it could stay out maybe an hour, but I think it tastes best pretty cold. It can stay in the refrigerator for a week and probably be fine, but I usually keep mine frozen until the day I use it.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com