• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner in downtown Wilmington, DE

azurite

I'm going to be staying in downtown Wilmington, DE, for a few days at the end of April for a meeting. I'll have two evenings when I can choose where I eat dinner, although I won't have a car either evening. Taking a bus (if there is metro bus service in Wilmington), a taxi or van (if enough people want to go to the same place) is possible so I'm not restricted to places in walking distance although I like being able to walk to/from.

I'm staying at the Doubletree (700 N. King St.) & anywhere from 2-3 to 5-6 other people may want to share my choice of eating place. It'll be Saturday & Monday evenings.

I'm not much of a meat eater and like to eat local foods when possible, but otherwise have no strong dislikes/preferences. One of the people who'll probably eat w/me has expressed a longing for many fresh veg and/or fruit. Neither I, nor anyone likely to be with me, is going to want a many course expensive meal, probably more like $30-45/person excluding any alcohol, if that's possible. We have a per diem meal allowance & I think most people try to stay within the allowance. Almost any kind of ethnic food is fine with me, although I've yet to have opportunity to try Peruvian or Ethiopian food (but what I've read about them sounds promising) and probably ok with most of the other meeting attendees who are mostly likely to decide to go with wherever I choose.

Domaine Hudson has been mentioned as a possibility.

I've gotten some very good suggestions from eGullet members for other cities, for which I & the people who've eaten with me have been thankful. Having some recommendations or suggestions on where to eat has made a real difference to me when I've been in an unfamiliar city for a few days on business.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

azurite

I haven't lived there since 2005, so my info might be a bit outdated. The food scene in Wilmington was pretty lame back then and I would suspect it remains lame now, but maybe not. Wilmington is a city where people work and flee: much of the downtown area shuts down after business hours end.

I'd suggest Mikimotos on 1212 N Washington St: it should be pretty close to your hotel, maybe half a mile. They do a kind of "pan-asian" food adjusted for the American palate and they have decent sushi. Their menu is big, so it could satisfy a group with diverse tastes. I've had some good meals there: nothing that will blow you away, but good. The Washington St Ale House is right next to Mikimotos and is owned by the same people. I've never been there, but I imagine it's decent, like Mikimotos.

nunc est bibendum...

I lived in downtown Wilmington for a year. It's not exactly a food mecca, and it might have changed since I was there three years ago.

Having said that, Domaine Hudson is fine. Deep Blue is the main fancy seafood place in town, and is good but not spectacular. Iron Hill Brewery is a decent enough brewery/chophouse. Toscana Kitchen has good Italian downtown, though there is also a pretty decent little italy. Mikimoto's was thought to be the best Japanese, though I thought it was only ok. There's also some decent places along the waterfront - I can't remember the names aside from Harry's Savoy, but if the weather is nice they're pleasant enough to sit in.

Outside town (and I realize you didn't ask about this) Sovano Bistro in Kennett Square is truly excellent (as in, would survive even here in NYC), though it is far. Krazy Kat's is pretty good, as is Pizza by Elizabeth (upscale pizza).

Honestly, we most enjoyed eating at Wilmington's cheaper places. Libby's diner is an anachronistic local scene with satisfying breakfast. Charcoal Pit has excellent hamburgers. Tijuana Taco shop and the adjoining bakery (get the Churros) are very good. Mrs. Robino's Italian is out of the 1950's, but cheap and tasty.

I'm going to be staying in downtown Wilmington, DE, for a few days at the end of April for a meeting.   I'll have two evenings when I can choose where I eat dinner, although I won't have a car either evening.  Taking a bus (if there is metro bus service in Wilmington), a taxi or van (if enough people want to go to the same place) is possible so I'm not restricted to places in walking distance although I like being able to walk to/from.

I'm staying at the Doubletree  (700 N. King St.) & anywhere from 2-3 to 5-6 other people may want to share my choice of eating place.   It'll be Saturday & Monday evenings.

I'm not much of a meat eater and like to eat local foods when possible, but otherwise have no strong dislikes/preferences.  One of the people who'll probably eat w/me has expressed a longing for many fresh veg and/or fruit.   Neither I, nor anyone likely to be with me, is going to want a many course expensive meal, probably more like $30-45/person excluding any alcohol, if that's possible.   We have a per diem meal allowance & I think most people try to stay within the allowance.  Almost any kind of ethnic food is fine with me, although I've yet to have opportunity to try Peruvian or Ethiopian food (but what I've read about them sounds  promising) and probably ok with most of the other meeting attendees who are mostly likely to decide to go with wherever I choose.

I've gotten some very good suggestions from eGullet members for other cities, for which I & the people who've eaten with me have been thankful.  Having some recommendations or suggestions on where to eat has made a real difference to me when I've been in an unfamiliar city for a few days on business. 

azurite

Edited by WK2 (log)

I lived in downtown Wilmington for a year. It's not exactly a food mecca, and it might have changed since I was there three years ago.

Having said that, Domaine Hudson is fine. Deep Blue is the main fancy seafood place in town, and is good but not spectacular.  Iron Hill Brewery is a decent enough brewery/chophouse.  Toscana Kitchen has good Italian downtown, though there is also a pretty decent little italy.  Mikimoto's was thought to be the best Japanese, though I thought it was only ok.  There's also some decent places along the waterfront - I can't remember the names aside from Harry's Savoy, but if the weather is nice they're pleasant enough to sit in.

Outside town (and I realize you didn't ask about this) Sovano Bistro in Kennett Square is truly excellent (as in, would survive even here in NYC), though it is far. Krazy Kat's is pretty good, as is Pizza by Elizabeth (upscale pizza).

Honestly, we most enjoyed eating at Wilmington's cheaper places.  Libby's diner is an anachronistic local scene with satisfying breakfast.  Charcoal Pit has excellent hamburgers.  Tijuana Taco shop and the adjoining bakery (get the Churros) are very good.  Mrs. Robino's Italian is out of the 1950's, but cheap and tasty.   

EDIT: Again, you didn't ask this, but there's a worthy-of-support local coffee chain called Brew-ha-ha.  Or at least they were worthy of support when I was there.

I'm going to be staying in downtown Wilmington, DE, for a few days at the end of April for a meeting.   I'll have two evenings when I can choose where I eat dinner, although I won't have a car either evening.  Taking a bus (if there is metro bus service in Wilmington), a taxi or van (if enough people want to go to the same place) is possible so I'm not restricted to places in walking distance although I like being able to walk to/from.

I'm staying at the Doubletree  (700 N. King St.) & anywhere from 2-3 to 5-6 other people may want to share my choice of eating place.   It'll be Saturday & Monday evenings.

I'm not much of a meat eater and like to eat local foods when possible, but otherwise have no strong dislikes/preferences.  One of the people who'll probably eat w/me has expressed a longing for many fresh veg and/or fruit.   Neither I, nor anyone likely to be with me, is going to want a many course expensive meal, probably more like $30-45/person excluding any alcohol, if that's possible.   We have a per diem meal allowance & I think most people try to stay within the allowance.  Almost any kind of ethnic food is fine with me, although I've yet to have opportunity to try Peruvian or Ethiopian food (but what I've read about them sounds  promising) and probably ok with most of the other meeting attendees who are mostly likely to decide to go with wherever I choose.

I've gotten some very good suggestions from eGullet members for other cities, for which I & the people who've eaten with me have been thankful.  Having some recommendations or suggestions on where to eat has made a real difference to me when I've been in an unfamiliar city for a few days on business. 

azurite

The Harry's Savoy in the waterfront area is decent--I'd forgotten about it and it was somewhat new when I was leaving (it's a second location for them, their main one is on Naamans Rd (I think) outside the city. If I recall correctly, it's focused on seafood. From what I remember (I'm sure there's more) there was also a Joe's Crab shack and a Big Kahuna (woooo!) down there.

One reason for the dearth of good spots in Wilmington is that I think people go to Philly, DC, and NYC (that's what I did). Philly's so close that it's competition and places in Wilmington can't really compete.

nunc est bibendum...

Ah, Big Kahuna. All I know is that they had air hockey.

Harry's is oysters, seafood, etc. We had a work shindig there. Quite decent, excellent for a group, come to think of it. It's not cheap by any means, though.

The Harry's Savoy in the waterfront area is decent--I'd forgotten about it and it was somewhat new when I was leaving (it's a second location for them, their main one is on Naamans Rd (I think) outside the city. If I recall correctly, it's focused on seafood. From what I remember (I'm sure there's more) there was also a Joe's Crab shack and a Big Kahuna (woooo!) down there.

One reason for the dearth of good spots in Wilmington is that I think people go to Philly, DC, and NYC (that's what I did). Philly's so close that it's competition and places in Wilmington can't really compete.

Wilmington person here.

First, be VERY cautious about roaming around the hotel area after dark, NOT the best place crime-wise. Not trying to scare you, but thought you should know that. You are VERY close to a high crime area. Cab rather than walking, imho. :unsure:

Ok, now on to the food. :smile:

http://www.blueparrotgrille.com/ The Blue Parrot - Really good Cajun menu

http://www.domainehudson.com/menu.html - Domaine Hudson - Expensive and worth every penny

http://www.mororestaurant.net/menu.html - Moro - VERY expensive, also worth every penny

http://www.orillastapasbar.com/main/ORILLAS-Home.asp?p= Orillasta - Tapas - haven't been there, but have heard good things

Harry's Seafood has already been mentioned, but here is the website anyway. Good seafood, expensive.

http://www.harrys-savoy.com/seafood_aboutus.asp

One more, lol

http://www.ameritage-bistro.com/ - Ameritage - French food, mid-range price wise. I loved it when I went, has been a while, though.

Hope that helps :cool: