• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

make Dr Oetker's German Streusel from scratch?

zoe b

We have become addicted to this--went to some friends for dinner & they had it for dessert.

http://www.oetker.us/en/product/cake-mixes...german-struesel

I've made it a few times --the struesel is in between a shortbread and a cake in texture--has anyone made or read of something similar?

Maybe the difference is the egg--struesel recipes don't generally call for one.

Zoe

We have become addicted to this--went to some friends for dinner & they had it for dessert.

http://www.oetker.us/en/product/cake-mixes...german-struesel

I've made it a few times --the struesel  is in between a shortbread and a cake in texture--has anyone made or read of something similar?

Maybe the difference is the egg--struesel recipes don't generally call for one.

Zoe

Do they use a whole egg and mix it into the streusel topping? I have the dr. Oetker Germany baking book, but none of recipes require an egg except for one. It isn't a cake but a roll and you use a white of an egg to keep the streusel on the rolls. Maybe you can make small batches and experiment?

Do they use a whole egg and mix it into the streusel topping? I have the dr. Oetker Germany baking book, but none of recipes require an egg except for one. It isn't a cake but a roll and you use a white of an egg to keep the streusel on the rolls. Maybe you can make small batches and experiment?

yeah, a whole egg--that's what gives it such a rich flavor, i think.

I decided I am going to experiment--using standard cake/cookie dough recipes--I'll make some guesses about ratio of flour to sugar & leavening--as that's really all the mix is--and some salt of course!

I'll have time tomorrow to make trial run--will report back.

Z

We make streusel cakes quite often, this is the recipe my mom's mom developend and we have used for years. There is a recipe for the crust and a recipe for the streusel. The curst has an egg, the streusel traditionally does not. I suspect they just use the egg because the mix is used for both crust and streusel. Hope you enjoy this one!

Crust:

250 grams of self-rising flour (scant 9 oz)

100 grams of sugar (1/2 cupe)

100 grams of butter (1 stick minus 1 TBS), slightly softened

1 egg

pinch of salt

Mix butter and sugar with electric mixer using paddle attachment (do not overmix, it needs to be mixed but not creamed until light and fluffy). Scrape down bowl, add lighlty beaten egg. Mix briefly, add flour and salt and only mix on low speed until dough forms. wrap in Saran wrap and put in refrigerator for at least an hour (up to three days). Let soften 10-15 minutes on room temp before rolling out.

Streusel:

125 grams of self rising flour (scant 5 oz)

100 grams of sugar (1/2 cup)

100 grams of cold butter, cubed (1 stick minus 1 TBS)

Mix all streusel ingredients with your fingers, rubbing butter into dry ingredients until clumps form. (Can be made up to three days ahead).

Filling:

Your choice of fruit, we use apricot puree, cherries, plums, apples, sometimes even custard. The apricot is our favorite.

Preheat overn to 350 (I use convection setting, if you don't, use it at 375). Butter round pan (springform works great too), 10-12 inches in diameter.

Roll out crust onto bottom of buttered pan. I actually do this IN the pan, using a small pastry roller. Just patch up tears, you're fine as long as you have the whole bottom covered. Spread fruit filling (don't skimp, use a nice thick layer), sprinkle with streusel so filling is completely covered. If you want, sprinkle sliced almonds on top.

Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly firm. The more fruit you use, the longer it will take. If it's very loose, you'll notice when you jiggle the pan a little. Just keep it in a little longer.

This is a very forgiving recipe, and it keeps great for days. Taste improves with age actually (we never eat it the day it is baked). Also freezes well.

I usually double the recipe, bake a whole sheet and feed an army ;o)

oh, heleen, thanks for this recipe--i will try it out today--haven't had time to experiment yet with my own ideas, so I'll start from yours--although if this is a family favorite, i'm probably going to stop here!

I was thinking--I've made recipes that have you save out a cup of the flour/butter/sugar mixture before adding liquid--you could probably try this with this recipe, too.

Z

I hope it works for you :o). You're probably right about the cupe of batter you take out before adding the liquid. I do that with a shortbread, put the extra dough in the freezer and crumble it over the filling. It works great!