• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miami for a minute

TAPrice

On a trip back from Grand Cayman, we have a 6 hour layover in Miami next Friday. Yeah, I know that's a crazy schedule. We're traveling with a one year old, and we figured two quick flights and a super-long layover were better than several long flights.

So where can we go for food? I'd like to get out of the airport. It has to be low-key, because we have the kid.

My first thought, knowing absolutely nothing about Miami, was Calle 8. Is that doable from the airport and where should we go?

I'd greatly appreciate it, as well, if someone would PM me advice on how to get there (I'm assuming a cab is the best option, but I don't know).

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Versailles would be a natural based on your time and other limitations. It isn't far from the airport - and your child won't be the only one there. Plus - whether your cab driver speaks English or Spanish or Creole - he will probably know where it is (but print out a mapquest just in case). It's a Miami icon - and if you haven't been there - you should try it. Robyn

On a trip back from Grand Cayman, we have a 6 hour layover in Miami next Friday. Yeah, I know that's a crazy schedule. We're traveling with a one year old, and we figured two quick flights and a super-long layover were better than several long flights.

So where can we go for food? I'd like to get out of the airport. It has to be low-key, because we have the kid.

My first thought, knowing absolutely nothing about Miami, was Calle 8. Is that doable from the airport and where should we go?

I'd greatly appreciate it, as well, if someone would PM me advice on how to get there (I'm assuming a cab is the best option, but I don't know).

With a 6-hour layover, Calle Ocho is certainly doable. Versailles is a good recommendation for some local Cuban flavor. However, I should note it's not what most would call "low-key" - like its namesake, the restaurant is covered in mirrors and chandeliers - gaudy is the word more often used. Here's info on Versailles location, etc.:

http://southflorida.menupages.com/restaura...taurantid=33290

You're also within easy range of Coral Gables, which has lots of dining options, depending on what you're looking for. There's Ortanique for Nuevo-Caribbean, Su Shin Izakaya for sushi and Japanese small dishes, Graziano's for Argentine, Francesco for Peruvian, Bugatti for decent Italian, Por Fin for Mediterranean-inflected Spanish ... and plenty more. None of these are exactly "hushed dining rooms," but some are fancier than others and I'm not sure where you feel comfortable taking the 1-yr old with you (certainly none would frown at you for doing so).

A cab is definitely the way to go. Public transport in Miami is very weak.

Versailles sounds like a winner.

By "low-key," I really meant informal. A place where my son wouldn't disturb others.

Versailles is gaudy. But very informal. You won't feel out of place there even if you are wearing "travel clothes" and carrying a small child.

FWIW - I also recommend taking a cab. But keep in mind that Florida has strict car seat laws for children. I assume you will have a car seat type of thing which you can strap into a cab. Just remember to check that your cab has operable seat belts to strap in the child seat (a lot of Miami cabs tend to be third worldish - and airport cab drivers aren't especially happy campers these days). Robyn

P.S. Depending on when you'll be in Miami - it might be easier and not much more expensive to rent a car than use a cab (took a quick look and "list price" car rental rates are all over the place - and I frequently use things like Entertainment Book coupons to get decent discounts). Robyn